Internet Solutions News Server - no connection

Hades

I can't connect to the IS news server? I have pinged it and it appears to be up.

Fcon_Vpro

Expert Member
I can't connect to the IS news server? I have pinged it and it appears to be up.
I haven't been able to connect to it for a while, but I also haven't tried for a while.
Would also like to hear if anyone can connect to it from cisp.

MightyQuin

Not amused...
I think it got flooded after all the paid for usenet servers couldn't be reached, so IS took it down?

Hunted

What is a good nzb site to use these days? like in the haydays of newshost?

qinglung

Expert Member
Gone forever... message when trying to connect now states "200 Due to the increase in demand for streaming, Internet Solutions has taken the decision to shut its NNTP service. We thank you for using this service over all the years. (posting not permitted, 0 groups available)"

PBCool

Cool Ideas
Company Rep
Gone forever... message when trying to connect now states "200 Due to the increase in demand for streaming, Internet Solutions has taken the decision to shut its NNTP service. We thank you for using this service over all the years. (posting not permitted, 0 groups available)"
Oh dear, we are looking at the possibility of hosting our own. But nothing in stone as yet.

Mr Scratch

Expert Member

hectic one that

Lupus

Honorary Master
Looked after that server back in the day, sad day that Is died. I remember the storage failing on FTP.is.co.za that was fun and games isn't some ancient dell storage.

TheRoDent

Cool Ideas Rep
I would be happy to pay a premium monthly fee for a good news server @PBCool
Any reason to not use a paid for international service ? Demand for nntp is low, and the infrastructure requirements are quite high, so not really worth it. It's for this reason that the IS nntp service got shut down too...

RonSwanson

Executive Member
Any reason to not use a paid for international service ? Demand for nntp is low, and the infrastructure requirements are quite high, so not really worth it. It's for this reason that the IS nntp service got shut down too...
Yep, sadly it's dated and not so efficient either, with 8-->7--> 8bit conversions on binaries. What we need is a complete overhaul of the NNTP protocol, encoding, storage and formats, mainly for binaries, and widespread adoption. Anyone with a free weekend or two to write NNTP 2.0?