Inverter Setup Question

Hi All,
With load shedding back on the agenda.. i am looking at installing the following
- Mecer 24V DC-AC Inverter 1440W - Simulated Sine Wave
- 2x 105aH Deep Cycle batteries.

Needs to run the following
Modem, Fibre router and laptop mainly.. (<100Watts) but also TV and DSTV explorer when we have load shedding at night

The above setup should be more than capable..

Questions:
With Simulated Sine Wave and TVs - any issues out there running non-pure sine wave on a Samsung Smart LED TV? (rated 200watts)
Also.. any experiences with Mecer Inverters?
Batteries - Any brand recommendations or brands to avoid?

thanks in adv
ants

thechamp

Honorary Master
Hi All,
With load shedding back on the agenda.. i am looking at installing the following
- Mecer 24V DC-AC Inverter 1440W - Simulated Sine Wave
- 2x 105aH Deep Cycle batteries.

Needs to run the following
Modem, Fibre router and laptop mainly.. (<100Watts) but also TV and DSTV explorer when we have load shedding at night

The above setup should be more than capable..

Questions:
With Simulated Sine Wave and TVs - any issues out there running non-pure sine wave on a Samsung Smart LED TV? (rated 200watts)
Also.. any experiences with Mecer Inverters?
Batteries - Any brand recommendations or brands to avoid?

thanks in adv
ants
I have no issues running my TV on a modified sine wave inverter, but it is neither LED nor smart, just a basic LCD TV. No experience with Mecer but you should be fine, Mecer is a well known brand. Batteries, any well known brands will do.

David101

Have the exact same setup, just had batteries included in the deal buying from Geewiz (Energiser)
No problem on my very plain 49" LG non-smart tv.
Also always run modem, fibre router, 2 laptops, a couple of LED lights and a Mede8er simultaneously
Mecer sure is noisy (apparently the newer ones are quieter) but no issues

LOL Redviking, but ja i agree

Anyways to sum it up briefly yes what you have in mind Scubasteve1 sounds pretty good, I am running a 1000VA UPS with 2 x 105aH lead acid truck batteries in series and my batteries read 12.7 volts after load shedding has ended.

My entire lounge is on UPS and at the time i measure voltage a coupla nights ago the following were connected: Laptop, 24" External Monitor, Yamaha 5.1 Hi-Fi (around half volume), Router, Ubiquiti Radio, LED Desklamp

Although my 55" telly is connected it wasnt switched on.

I only run pure sinewave as some electronics dont like modified sinewave, you may get a hum coming from your telly in this case

RedViking

Honorary Master
LOL Redviking, but ja i agree

Anyways to sum it up briefly yes what you have in mind Scubasteve1 sounds pretty good, I am running a 1000VA UPS with 2 x 105aH lead acid truck batteries in series and my batteries read 12.7 volts after load shedding has ended.

My entire lounge is on UPS and at the time i measure voltage a coupla nights ago the following were connected: Laptop, 24" External Monitor, Yamaha 5.1 Hi-Fi (around half volume), Router, Ubiquiti Radio, LED Desklamp

Although my 55" telly is connected it wasnt switched on.

I only run pure sinewave as some electronics dont like modified sinewave, you may get a hum coming from your telly in this case
Chucky what you think of this, how many hours it will give for 700W at least?:
1544170086428.png 1544170071068.png

(sorry, also posted in a another thread but mentions ain't working)

Chucky what you think of this, how many hours it will give for 700W at least?:
View attachment 589882 View attachment 589880

(sorry, also posted in a another thread but mentions ain't working)
Looks pretty cool but you gonna need quite a few batteries.
I'm currently using 2 of that size and get through nicely.
I think you need to relook at your consumption during load shedding, try and get it to 150 watts or less.
Otherwise be prepared to be buying 6 of those batteries, maybe more

Edit: oh wait i see you have 4 batteries in your cart. Cool, good start, if it doesn't last then either add more batteries or cut down on your usage.
And remember to wire batteries properly http://www.smartgauge.co.uk/batt_con.html

RedViking

Honorary Master
Looks pretty cool but you gonna need quite a few batteries.
I'm currently using 2 of that size and get through nicely.
I think you need to relook at your consumption during load shedding, try and get it to 150 watts or less.
Otherwise be prepared to be buying 6 of those batteries, maybe more
:eek::eek: It is for a work/gaming PC. :eek::eek:

RedViking

Honorary Master
Hectic, 700 Watts, that is a lot, surely you can not game for 2hrs a day LOL
I do renderings and graphic/CPU intense for work. Graphics card is GTX1070 and CPU is Core i7 something something. Even without the renderings I think it still uses a bit.... Should maybe get a Digital Watt Meter first to test.

1544170632156.png

?

I do renderings and graphic/CPU intense for work. Graphics card is GTX1070 and CPU is Core i7 something something. Even without the renderings I think it still uses a bit.... Should maybe get a Digital Watt Meter first to test.

View attachment 589890

?
Aah that explains it then.
Yes i love my kilowatt meter, mine is over 10yrs old and very very handy to have around the house.
Good investment

@RedViking.. i did the search... and yes there are alot of threads on it.. problem is finding the right answer to your specific question.. not always easy piggy backing on someone else's thread.. the other issue is... and shown on this thread even.. the topic is about point 'a'.. 5 posts in and the topic has changed from point 'a' - point 'k' already.. so sometimes a new thread is not such bad thing..