Investement in current climate

greggpb

Expert Member
ok assume you had no debt.... what would you do with

Moederloos

Honorary Master
Buy belts is small sizes.

/sorry could not resist :D

No debt? As in nothing at all? Uhm, sheesh - no idea. Office space within 5km of Gautrain stations?

LancelotSA

Banned
This question has been raised before and the same answer applies. It really depends on more than the money you have available to invest...

* What money is it? Life's savings/ retirement money or extra cash you have lying around?
* Investment horizon... how long are you looking at putting it away
* Your personal risk aversion and understanding of markets
* Your age
* Your personal circumstances. A single person would have different priorities to someone with a wife and two kids

Bottom line is every investment should be handled on a one on one basis as there is no such thing as a one size fits all investment!

this is not a simple one-line response type question. what you did with it would depend on a number of factors, eg. your risk profile, long term or short term inv, tax implications etc etc- if you are totally clueless when it comes to investments, then just stick into a money market account

greggpb

Expert Member
me about 30 and that would be the sum total of money i have saves since i started working...

I would like it to generate the best rate of return without going into a hedge funs or somthing dody... satrix 40 seems ok... but i would also like to protects again a rand crash

LancelotSA

Banned
this is not a simple one-line response type question. what you did with it would depend on a number of factors, eg. your risk profile, long term or short term inv, tax implications etc etc- if you are totally clueless when it comes to investments, then just stick into a money market account
Don't want to come across as following you around here but this is your second post I am having to respond to and I see it is only your second post on here, but I am not sure about your title if this is your recommendation. You start off fine but then recommend money market. A sensible guru would have suggested contacting an accredited financial advisor to do a full FNA (financial needs analysis) and not merely stated put it into MM if you are unsure!

LancelotSA

Banned
me about 30 and that would be the sum total of money i have saves since i started working...

I would like it to generate the best rate of return without going into a hedge funs or somthing dody... satrix 40 seems ok... but i would also like to protects again a rand crash
Greg, get yourself an advisor. Yes, you will have to pay commission but any investment is going to cost you money. Anyone who knows what they are talking about on here will not be able to give you advise as it can get you s-referenced...

Not wanting to come across as if I am soliciting but whereabouts are you situated? :)

you need to have a proper financial plan- ie. retirement planning etc (not just have a narrow view of investments)

satrix 40 may be a good idea as it spreads your investment over the top 40, instead in a single (or few) share/s. However be careful as the major players in the top 40 are heavily weighted in resources and financials, which in my opinion are way over-priced at the moment.

yes- they are likely to keep climbing, but you better guess right about when the bubble bursts

ultimately it comes down to whether you have more on a fundamental or technical approach to investing and whether you are short/long term investor

LancelotSA

Banned
sorry to offend you- this is all my opinion- of course an FNA is best
It is just slightly worrying that you join this forum using the name wealth and health guru, which may create expectations in some people, and then start giving advice as if it is more than a mere opinion. Be careful as people may take your advice at face value and you are dealing with people's life savings here.

We do have real experts in certain fields on this forum...

Above you mention the Satrix 40 as giving you a nice spread but it is still exposing you purely to equities. Yes, you may have exposure to various sectors but to properly diversify you would need to get your money spread across more than one asset class. Who knows a pure equity investment may suit the OP but you would not know this from the little he has told us. Be more responsible if you want to use the name you are.

It is just slightly worrying that you join this forum using the name wealth and health guru, which may create expectations in some people, and then start giving advice as if it is more than a mere opinion. Be careful as people may take your advice at face value and you are dealing with people's life savings here.

We do have real experts in certain fields on this forum...

Above you mention the Satrix 40 as giving you a nice spread but it is still exposing you purely to equities. Yes, you may have exposure to various sectors but to properly diversify you would need to get your money spread across more than one asset class. Who knows a pure equity investment may suit the OP but you would not know this from the little he has told us. Be more responsible if you want to use the name you are.

point taken

you an Old Mutual fan?

DJ...

Banned
Based on this post I dont think your user name is quite apt and could be considerably misleading for forumites who will follow your advice blindly. Considering you are the self-proclaimed guru. MM acc?????? WTF?

you need to have a proper financial plan- ie. retirement planning etc (not just have a narrow view of investments)

satrix 40 may be a good idea as it spreads your investment over the top 40, instead in a single (or few) share/s. However be careful as the major players in the top 40 are heavily weighted in resources and financials, which in my opinion are way over-priced at the moment.

yes- they are likely to keep climbing, but you better guess right about when the bubble bursts

ultimately it comes down to whether you have more on a fundamental or technical approach to investing and whether you are short/long term investor
What do you mean by the major players being heavily weighted in resources and financials? Surely you mean the index is heavily weighted towards these industries because of the major players? I am curious as to how you come to the conclusion that financials are over-priced. I am of the opinion that financials are pretty cheap and are a good capital growth investment. They havent been this cheap in ages so at what point were they reasonably priced? Which financials BTW? Listed money managers or the banks?

Last edited:

LancelotSA

Banned
point taken

you an Old Mutual fan?
A little tip to using a forum.... if you ask a question in one place allow the person a few minutes to answer before repeating it elsewhere. And perhaps also be a little careful using companies names in what I assume is a derogatory manner as it can be frowned upon by other members.

The first rule of coming across as a professional is to not slate the service offered by your competitors... you'll do well to learn this.

Last edited:

DJ...

Banned
I was going to ask you about the cheek of this chap stealing the title given to me by you!! ha ha :) ;)
I was wondering when this would come up. At first I suspected it was you, but the posts didnt really have the arrogance to have been a Lancelot clone...:p:D

LancelotSA

Banned
I was wondering when this would come up. At first I suspected it was you, but the posts didnt really have the arrogance to have been a Lancelot clone...:p:D
Ha ha ha, um... not sure whether to discuss your questionable DJing skills or say thanks?!? :)