Ip pbx vs hosted pbx - data usage difference

skyw4lk3r

Hi

I've got mtn fixed lte which is great, my signal is excellent. Have a poynting antenna as well.

Just wondering if there would be any difference in bandwidth use if I invest in an ip pbx, and run 10 extensions over it, or if I use a hosted pbx such as euphoria or switchtel.

From what I gather, the internal calls to other extensions on a ip pbx would not use the Internet at all, but on a hosted pbx it would.

We aren't using much internal calls anyway, mostly external.

So would there be any difference in the bandwidth usage on a ip pbx vs the hosted pbx, for external calls? Main concern is that calls must be perfect, not worried about the gb usage per say

Secondly, would my mtn lte be sufficient to use for 10 extensions, on a hosted pbx, with smart queues enabled on a unifi network setup?

Last edited:

access

Honorary Master
yes there would be a difference in the amount of data used, as you said internal calls will not use internet bandwidth with a on-prem pbx.

it could be sufficient, it does not use a lot of bandwidth/data, just needs a good quality/stable connection, implement groups with bandwidth restrictions on the unifi setup as well.

skyw4lk3r

yes there would be a difference in the amount of data used, as you said internal calls will not use internet bandwidth with a on-prem pbx.

it could be sufficient, it does not use a lot of bandwidth/data, just needs a good quality/stable connection, implement groups with bandwidth restrictions on the unifi setup as well.
Thanks for the reply,
So for external calls, exactly the same amount of data right?

I've got bandwidth restrictions set up on the WiFi, but is it possible to do so on wired connections? Ps it's a dream machine pro , so no json files etc

Last edited:

access

Honorary Master
yes the same amount.

to calculate it. on g729a for example:

1603609612772.png

yes you can set a wired connection to a wlan group. check in the clients tab, select the client, select options

skyw4lk3r

Thanks for that link
From what I read if one does that it doesn't actually limit the lan connections though.. Only WiFi. Will try it though

access

Honorary Master
Thanks for that link
From what I read if one does that it doesn't actually limit the lan connections though.. Only WiFi. Will try it though

no worries.
ok, i might be wrong. im pretty sure i tested it once. would do it now quick, but have to gooi mielies.

skyw4lk3r

Just confirmed it:

NOTES & REQUIREMENTS:These limits are applied at the WLAN UniFi Access Point, hence this article is applicable to wireless clients only. At this time, traffic shaping cannot be done to wired clients via the UniFi Controller.

access

Honorary Master
Just confirmed it:

you are right, it doesnt work, i checked the weekend. i kept a buddys server on lan 3 at my house for a month or 2 around april and let him use half of my bandwidth. i used that setting to restrict him and it worked. a speedtest from his server gave half my line speed. i dont know why it worked or why it no longer works, but i thought it pretty nifty at the time.