IP phone recommendations?

buffalobill

Well, Telkom appears incapable of provisioning an FLLA SIM card, so we're porting our 011 number to our fibre service provider instead. Our ISP has Yealink IP cordless phones (don't know the model number). Would you recommend these? Are there other better options since there doesn't seem to be a lot of choice? What should I look out for? Are there any with Bluetooth connectivity for a headset? We're a simple home business, so just the one handset will do fine. Look forward to feedback, the do's and don'ts.

Rocket-Boy

Executive Member
The yealink handsets are fine, I prefer Snom but they are a bit pricey.
I had a few Snom M800's which were cordless DECT phones, they worked very well but I dont use a phone in the office anymore.

msquared

Expert Member
Nothing wrong with Yealink. We use them at the office and no issues whatsoever.

msquared

Expert Member
As you're going for a SIP account, you can use the Google SIP settings or download a VoIP app to put on your phone. That would solve your bluetooth issue. Also means you don't have to at the office/home to receive calls.

Prawnapple

Yealink or Fanville

The yealink handsets are fine, I prefer Snom but they are a bit pricey.
I had a few Snom M800's which were cordless DECT phones, they worked very well but I dont use a phone in the office anymore.
Snom isn't bad. I just don't understand why Snom doesn't follow suite and allow users to upload the firmware to the phone via the LAN like every other piece of voip phone equipment.

Rocket-Boy

Executive Member
Yealink or Fanville

Snom isn't bad. I just don't understand why Snom doesn't follow suite and allow users to upload the firmware to the phone via the LAN like every other piece of voip phone equipment.
You can update the firmware via LAN, just create a webserver with the image and set the URL in your Snom config.

Prawnapple

You can update the firmware via LAN, just create a webserver with the image and set the URL in your Snom config.
How do you usually go about it? I.e. what app do you use for it? I've tried using Pumpkin and it tells me, "ports are already in use" when trying to activate the ftp server itself. Then I've tried using SolarWinds in every possible way. No luck. Could be a LAN issue though.

RandomGeek

How about using your existing analogue phone, just using an ATA device to interconnect between the phone and the router?

RandomGeek

What's that (ATA device)?
Analog Telephone Adapter. Takes in a standard RJ11 analog phone on one end, converts it to SIP and connects to your VoIP provider. Random product example below

dillydog

For desktop, Yealink T40P or if you want Gigabit then the T40G, or the younger siblings the T21PE2 or the T23G. For Cordless, either the Yealink W60P or the Yealink W53P

Thanks

dillydog

Yealink or Fanville

I used to do it through the lan by setting up my laptop as an IIS server and then download the firmware load it onto my laptop and point the phones to my laptop on the lan worked a treat, we also did this on PBX's running webservers...The Snoms use Port 80 (HTTP) to upgrade, Pumpkin is TFTP (UDP 69)

buffalobill

The ATA will be good, RG, thanks. On a tangent and maybe this needs another thread. I'll be in the UK next month, is it possible to receive/make calls in such a way that it won't attract international call charges?