iPad on plane ?

lexor

Expert Member
Are you allowed to use your iPad ( airplane mode) on airplane?

Ecco

Executive Member
I am pretty certain you have to switch of all electrical devices during take off and landing.

As for switching the 3G iPad afterwards, you can - they don't even know if it has 3G or not - which makes the whole rule about having you phone off (even in airplane mode) really stupid!

ijacobs3

Expert Member
hehehe, the stupid gps on the ipad2 starts acting up after 10000 feet

Wyzak

Expert Member
You can use your iPad in flight mode - in which 3G is shut-down, but WiFi is not...

Jola

Honorary Master
Not during Take-Off and Landing (in South Africa).

ads

Yes, as above for iPads.

Yes. Just not a cellphone which is bizarre.

The Department of Civil Aviation has given the go-ahead in South Africa for smartphones as well, but it does still depend on which airline - each one requires specific approval before they can allow it. Similarly on international flights - it depends on the airline.

Last edited:

lexor

Expert Member
Thanks - I'm flying this morning and will get 1 st hand experience on using iPad on plane .

Jola

Honorary Master
Thanks - I'm flying this morning and will get 1 st hand experience on using iPad on plane .

Bon voyage !

Remember to put it in flight mode before you take off.

Elimentals

Honorary Master
The Department of Civil Aviation has given the go-ahead in South Africa for smartphones as well, but it does still depend on which airline - each one requires specific approval before they can allow it. Similarly on international flights - it depends on the airline.

Some international airlines, even allow for 3G data/normal phone calls, as the planes come with dedicated cell equipment. Just watch the charges as they count it as roaming. But I guess we still waiting for WiFi internet on ours....

encrypted

Honestly I stick my galaxy note in flight mode, don't switch off during take off, and use it to watch Movies.

The flight attendants have yet to query it.

The only way a cellphone is going to bring down a Boeing is if you use it to beat the pilot and co-pilot to death. I know corning gorilla glass is strong but that sounds like an unlikely scenario, plus the beating is the same if it's off or on.

Elimentals

Honorary Master
The only way a cellphone is going to bring down a Boeing is if you use it to beat the pilot and co-pilot to death. I know corning gorilla glass is strong but that sounds like an unlikely scenario, plus the beating is the same if it's off or on.

You forgot about shorting the battery.

Nerfherder

Honorary Master
Kulula is still strict about using anything electronic during take off and landing.

Almost everyone on the flight has a tablet nowadays, its like a pissing contest. If you don't have something then you must be quiet and pretend to sleep.

Kindle still makes everyone jealous though, this dude next to me on one flight had his hands full with his flyer and Galaxy tab... I just pull the kindle out my pocket and look awesome while reading in direct sunlight.

AfricanTech

Honorary Master
Kulula is still strict about using anything electronic during take off and landing.

Almost everyone on the flight has a tablet nowadays, its like a pissing contest. If you don't have something then you must be quiet and pretend to sleep.

Kindle still makes everyone jealous though, this dude next to me on one flight had his hands full with his flyer and Galaxy tab... I just pull the kindle out my pocket and look awesome while reading in direct sunlight.

+1 - The kindle really is a pleasure (humph, for those of you who picked it up, my Kindle Keyboard was 'redistributed' last week) - have replaced with new one - which is even lighter than the old.

CharlC

Yes, as above for iPads.

Wow! Finally!!! Now we just have to wait for all the airlines to get with the times!

And I think we are going to wait a very long time before we see Wifi on local planes. JMHO

Nerfherder

Honorary Master
Wow! Finally!!! Now we just have to wait for all the airlines to get with the times!

And I think we are going to wait a very long time before we see Wifi on local planes. JMHO

I think they will still stop you from using electronic devices at take off, its a critical time for security and they need your attention if things go wrong. That's why you have to take off your head phones.

Elimentals

Honorary Master
I think they will still stop you from using electronic devices at take off, its a critical time for security and they need your attention if things go wrong. That's why you have to take off your head phones.

Thats my biggest problem: If I die because of a plane crash I prefer it to be to the sound of my favorite band and not hundreds of people yelling "We gonna die!".