iPad Pro vs powerful laptops - South African pricing showdown

Johnatan56

Honorary Master
R13,ooo.oo price sounds look, was worried there would be 0's there.

bwana

MyBroadband
Super Moderator
Last edited:

quovadis

Executive Member
I feel like MyBB is literally punking us. Why on earth would you compare an IPad Pro to a laptop? Once again, completely different form factor and use scenario. It would be advantageous maybe for MyBB to send their writers to an Apple store in the US and see first hand what these devices are being used for especially in the art and design world.

ebendl

Expert Member
I feel like MyBB is literally punking us. Why on earth would you compare an IPad Pro to a laptop? Once again, completely different form factor and use scenario. It would be advantageous maybe for MyBB to send their writers to an Apple store in the US and see first hand what these devices are being used for especially in the art and design world.

If you watch the Apple keynote then you will notice that apple did a lot of comparisons against laptops for the new iPad pro. A lot of journalists in the States picked up on on this and said that it seems as if Apple is trying to sell this as a laptop replacement.

AfricanTech

Honorary Master
If you watch the Apple keynote then you will notice that apple did a lot of comparisons against laptops for the new iPad pro. A lot of journalists in the States picked up on on this and said that it seems as if Apple is trying to sell this as a laptop replacement.
It ain't no laptop replacment (for me) - I have both, and it's not no matter how powerful the hardware

Edit - fair point by bwana

Last edited:

quovadis

Executive Member

A tablet and a laptop are two different form factors with varying usage purposes. Don’t confuse Apple’s marketing a product as an alternative for the casual laptop user as touting a product as a laptop. There are plenty of powerful tablets available to write
a comparative article if needs be.

Hamish McPanji

Honorary Master
It all depends on what you want to do with it. Might not be a laptop replacement for you, because you need a laptop, but for others, who don't... I can see it happening.
I agree. I know a few people who have already switched from a laptop to the previous iPad pro with keyboard. And they swear by it.

Yes, they may be the sales and marketing guys....but their work is just as valid as our coding/design/etc work. All they need is word/excel and an internet connection to do their work. And this works for them.

quovadis

Executive Member
It all depends on what you want to do with it. Might not be a laptop replacement for you, because you need a laptop, but for others, who don't... I can see it happening.

And someone might only need a iPhone - it’s still a computer but can make phone calls so let’s compare it to a laptop? In the context of the article it makes better sense to compare devices of the same class.

Hamish McPanji

Honorary Master
And someone might only need a iPhone - it’s still a computer but can make phone calls so let’s compare it to a laptop? In the context of the article it makes better sense to compare devices of the same class.
An Ipad pro with a keyboard attached has the same form factor and size as an ultrabook. An iPhone doesn't

bwana

MyBroadband
Super Moderator
My kids can use either a laptop or an iPad for school - 99% of their classmates, including them, use iPads. My kids have both and still use their laptops for projects but that's only because they don't have the keyboard covers etc.

quovadis

Executive Member
An Ipad pro with a keyboard attached has the same form factor and size as an ultrabook. An iPhone doesn't

You’re missing the point. It still isn’t a laptop.

My kids can use either a laptop or an iPad for school - 99% of their classmates, including them, use iPads. My kids have both and still use their laptops for projects but that's only because they don't have the keyboard covers etc.

I’m not arguing whether or not an iPad Pro is suitable as a substitute for a laptop for some but that it’s a different class of device with direct competitors. Comparing laptops and tablets based on price is odd.

quovadis

Executive Member
No, you're missing the point. It performs all the actions that are required by a laptop for the person using it. For them , it's a laptop

No it doesnt perform all the actions of a laptop and vice versa. But we can agree to disagree that tablets are not laptops and laptops are not tablets.

Hamish McPanji

Honorary Master
No it doesnt perform all the actions of a laptop and vice versa. But we can agree to disagree that tablets are not laptops and laptops are not tablets.
What does a typical user of a laptop use it for? Email, internet, documents, spreadsheets, presentations . What have I missed out?

quovadis

Executive Member
What does a typical user of a laptop use it for? Email, internet, documents, spreadsheets, presentations . What have I missed out?

That a tablet is not a laptop by its very definition and vice versa in the same way a laptop is not a desktop. It’s not rocket science.

Hamish McPanji

Honorary Master
That a tablet is not a laptop by its very definition and vice versa in the same way a laptop is not a desktop. It’s not rocket science.
No, it's not rocket science. Can you define what you think a laptop is exactly?

If I use the word itself, a tablet with a keyboard attachment actually qualifies as a laptop.

quovadis

Executive Member
No, it's not rocket science. Can you define what you think a laptop is exactly?

If I use the word itself, a tablet with a keyboard attachment actually qualifies as a laptop.

If you had an Apple iPad Pro, a Dell XPS 13” and a minitower gaming pc and were asked which was the desktop, laptop and tablet would this be confusing to you?