iPad wifi over PPPOE?

Glock26

Expert Member
Ok, I am sure it is very apparent that I don't know too much about networking..but here goes anyways.
Just been given a wifi iPad to go with my iPhone 4. Obviously with wifi only, I need to get this thing connected to the net, as it has no 3G (anyone wanna trade?..LOL)

However at home, me and my gf have 4 different internet accounts for various reasons. She connects to 2 different isp's, and I have 2 other accounts. I know it is odd, but there are reasons. Anyways, because of this, we connect via PPPOE by "dialing" into the the accounts on the pc's. 2 pc's, 2 laptops and a bunch of other devices.

So that leaves me unable to put one username and pass into the router (Netgear DGN2000)

My question is, is there any way at all I am going to be able to connect this iPad to the net? No way that I know of to have it "dial in" using a username and pass. So I have to lose the pc connections and set up the router with only one account? Is that my only option?

A search of Google showed lots of people with similar problems, but no easy solutions. How can I make the iPad connect to my pc maybe, and share the existing connection?

Anyone?

G26

Freaksta

Expert Member
Not sure if you router can do this but do a bit of googling.. I dial up from my pc with a pppoe connection to my uncapped account but my router also can create its own connection for all the wifi devices in the house..

Freaksta

Expert Member
Something like a semi-bridge mode, maybe just post the options you have on your router and them we can try help a bit more.. ie PPPOE, 1483 bridged, 1483 routing, PPPOA bla bla.

Twinkler

If it's any help ... I have an iBurst modem connected to a wi-fi router and the iPad works brilliantly.

Lounger

Expert Member
Ok, I am sure it is very apparent that I don't know too much about networking..but here goes anyways.
Just been given a wifi iPad to go with my iPhone 4. Obviously with wifi only, I need to get this thing connected to the net, as it has no 3G (anyone wanna trade?..LOL)

However at home, me and my gf have 4 different internet accounts for various reasons. She connects to 2 different isp's, and I have 2 other accounts. I know it is odd, but there are reasons. Anyways, because of this, we connect via PPPOE by "dialing" into the the accounts on the pc's. 2 pc's, 2 laptops and a bunch of other devices.

So that leaves me unable to put one username and pass into the router (Netgear DGN2000)

My question is, is there any way at all I am going to be able to connect this iPad to the net? No way that I know of to have it "dial in" using a username and pass. So I have to lose the pc connections and set up the router with only one account? Is that my only option?

A search of Google showed lots of people with similar problems, but no easy solutions. How can I make the iPad connect to my pc maybe, and share the existing connection?

Anyone?

G26

Well the way I understand it is the router connects to the ISP. One PC is connected directly to the modem via network cable. Then other PC's and devices connect wirelessly to the modem using the Preshared Key or whatever security you use. Even your neighbours could use it, so what's the issue - apart from bandwidth?

jasonbot

Some router support a bridge mode where you can set up your PPPoE account on the router to 'always' connect to the net unless you connect with PPPoE on a computer then only that computer connects with the newer ISP whilst any computer that isnt connected via its own connection uses the default.

I think my old cisco router had this feature. It got struck down by lightning.

I think the feature is called Passthrough.

Glock26

Expert Member
Thanks for the replies folks. Going to look into the settings and see what is possible. At the moment I have added one account to the router and all the pc's using that one, but must say it is not as reliable, fast or smooth. I would really prefer each device "dials" in to its own account. Will try a few of the hints given here.

G26

renierp

If I understand your problem correctly, this might be a solution http://virtualrouter.codeplex.com/ Someone else posted the link in another thread, I have not used it myself, but it seems great.
Basically, install it on one of your computers with WiFi, and your PC will act like a WiFi hotspot, and you can connect your iPad or almost anything else to it

Although I dont understand all the internet accounts that ou have, I still think there should be a simpler way to set it all up...

Anyways, give virtual router a try, should solve your issues