iPhone 7 Plus - connects to wifi but no comms

Arthur

Honorary Master
Joined
Aug 7, 2003
Messages
27,328
Reaction score
5,928
Location
Little Karoo | Dallas TX
I periodically trot out the iPhone 7 Plus to update apps and iOS. Has always worked without issue.

Everything was updated to latest version around 10 July. Only non-std apps installed are MS Office apps, dji drone app, and an authenticator for Msft Account 2FA. Never had a SIM.

This weekend I powered on the machine to get the latest dji (drone) app update. As always, it connects to the home wifi (all UniFi), but this time it would not connect to the App Store. Eventually timed out. Tried browsing the web, and again, no communication with any online services and sites despite wifi being connected. Grrr. Wifi connects and authenticates fine, gets IP, etc. All other non-Apple devices work without issue on the wifi network.

In frustration I eventually did a full reset, redid the wifi connection, but still the device won't talk to the internet.

Anyone have any idea what I should try next? Any ideas gratefully appreciated.

I don't want to let iTunes anywhere near a PC, if at all possible.
 
Last edited:
I think it might be an issue with your pfsense
Good thinking, HMcP. pfSense is doing exactly what it's been told to do. It's a rather complicated setup with two WAN connections, a vLAN, and multiple aliases with half a dozen firewall rules to keep the crabs out.

My instinct was the blame the Apple. It's so closed. But it turns out some stupid operator changed a parm on a virty dynamic arp table and that fenced in the Apple. ;)

Apols to Apple users if this issue caused a heart to flutter.
 
Last edited:
Good thinking, HMcP. pfSense is doing exactly what it's been told to do. It's a rather complicated setup with two WAN connections, a vLAN, and multiple aliases with half a dozen firewall rules to keep the crabs out.

My instinct was the blame the Apple. It's so closed. Bit it turns out some stupid operator changed a parm on a virty dynamic arp table and that fenced in the Apple. ;)

Apols to Apple users if this issue caused a heart to flutter.

I was gonna suggest you check the very same thing, and was going to explain how to go about it in extreme detail, yet in layman's terms. But I knew you would come right with this
 
What is a Pfsense, by the way? In them laymen's terms you spoke of. So others can understand, of course
 
Top
Sign up to the MyBroadband newsletter
X