Irrigation controller installation

CharlBarnard

Member
Joined
Apr 19, 2020
Messages
16
Reaction score
9
Hi All,
I've been struggling arong with three irrigation computers: an Orbit, Rainbird and Hunter, and it seems to me like they all do pretty much the same thing. Being minded an open sourche kinda chap, obviously projects like Open Sprinklier AI caught my eye (www.opensprinkler.com) and I'd like to know where there's someone in the Pretoria area that can assist with intallation of such a system? I have a total of 18 zones, currently controlled by three separate controllers, and a borehole with pump. Ideally I'd meld the system into one, and have the new system control the borehold pump. Property under coverage is 2349m2.
Thanks,
Charl Barnard
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Welll I ordered the kit from the USA and installed it and programmed it (over WiFi!); works like a charm, half the price of established brands. With neat features such as real-time weather updates and control over the cloud, it beats the competition hands down. I've even gone as far as setting up a local distributorship: http://www.opensprinkler.co.za.
I'll be more than happy to supply/assist others in getting the same system up and running.
Kind regards,
Charl
 
Looked at this a few years back, are you holding stock locally? Why dont you put any pricing on the site?
 
Too many variables with customs, duties and shipping. Rather do them as they come.
 
Designed my own (years ago) from the schematics on Github and simplified for DC 12v solenoids and off the shelf display + RTC from Communica -- basically a stripped down version for cost and home lithography/etching. The i2c io expansion chip wasn't cheap via RS and a challenge to solder.

The firmware is stock and quite solid. The official version should be pretty good, but the "proper" valves and total package cost (probably cheaper than rainbird / commercial products) was too expensive for my taste and relatively simple requirements + low surge/lightning environment.
 
Glad to hear you had a good experience! I feel the same way about the commercial products.
 
I am still rocking my dumb orbit irrigation controller. It works okay.

Their wifi system was crazy expensive for what it is, well over R5000 that was a few years ago.
 
Does the open sprinkler control a pump?

I use a relay which uses the master valve to switch the pump on and off.
 
Does the open sprinkler control a pump?

I use a relay which uses the master valve to switch the pump on and off.
From here :
"Use a master zone or pump; run zones in sequence or parallel"

And from here:
"OpenSprinkler firmware supports two master zones, however, each non-master station can only be associated with one of the two masters. "

The second post in that thread lists 2 options on how to set up. Option 1 seems the way to go.

If I run this by good ol' ChatGPT,
"OpenSprinkler has a dedicated “Master” output. This output can be configured as:
  • A master valve (normally for irrigation control), or
  • A pump start relay (PSR)"

So I reckon you're covered :)
 
  • Like
Reactions: rh1
I took a different approach with


Used a cheap ESP32 board with 8 relays on it and it works like a charm. I believe you can run multiple controllers to handle the additional zones. I don't recall the cost but it was probably <R200.
 
Does the open sprinkler control a pump?

I use a relay which uses the master valve to switch the pump on and off.
Master zone in OpenSprinkler
:)
Never thought of running a pump/borehole/pressure booster. Put a relay on a station and set that as a master.
1765306513877.png


I took a different approach with


Used a cheap ESP32 board with 8 relays on it and it works like a charm. I believe you can run multiple controllers to handle the additional zones. I don't recall the cost but it was probably <R200.
Now that I have HomeAssistant, I might've gone that route, but OpenSprinkler was my first foray into a smarter home, which is still very modest and decentralised. OpenSprinkler is rock solid and reliable, even if the rest of the house/homecontroller has issues. HomeAssistant just ties together all the IoT things into a central dashboard with controls.

My setup is simple and only had 1 goal: Water regularly for a short periods a few times a day/week so I don't don't kill the garden like I killed the pot-plants I inherited when I got my first flat -- if it doesn't bark/meow/seek attention, I might forget/neglect.
 
I took a different approach with


Used a cheap ESP32 board with 8 relays on it and it works like a charm. I believe you can run multiple controllers to handle the additional zones. I don't recall the cost but it was probably <R200.
No doubt there will be cheaper ways of achieving the end result; what OpenSprinkler does, is give you flexibility in station allocation (don't have to rewire to re-assign), simple config (wife can do it over WiFi) and a stable end product. On the other end of the spectum you find your Rainbirds, Hunters and Orbits, which achieves exactly the same as your cheap and nasty (not nastily intended) for many thousands of rands more, especially as the number of stations increase.
 
I took a different approach with


Used a cheap ESP32 board with 8 relays on it and it works like a charm. I believe you can run multiple controllers to handle the additional zones. I don't recall the cost but it was probably <R200.
I pretty much recommend this to anyone who finds entertainment in tinkering, and wants a low cost, reliable and modular system.
 
Any good Irrigation controller with good Home Assistant support? i wanted to buy OpenSprinkler, but they are closing their business in SA, so need an alternative
 
Any good Irrigation controller with good Home Assistant support? i wanted to buy OpenSprinkler, but they are closing their business in SA, so need an alternative
DIY it, really not that hard.

1x ESP32 board
5v Relay Module ( https://www.diyelectronics.co.za/st.../268-8-channel-5v-relay-module-10amp250v.html ) - Can get away with a 4 channel if controlling 1 pump and 3 valves
1x .24VAC PSU for valve power
1x 5VDC PSU for ESP32 and Relay module.
24VAC Hunter DV100 valve

1790595416005.png
 
I used 2 of these, can also flash them with Esphome
 
Anyone done or redone their irrigation solenoid valve wiring themselves? Our puppy had a field day with ours when I left the valve box open one day. I managed to figure it all out again but it is hacked together for now using porcelain screw connectors and one medium size chocolate block. I am looking at these to connect the signal wires together

1790661914034.png




I need to find something for the ground wires, there is a single ground from controller that needs to connect to 8 individual grounds, one from each solenoid. Any suggestions?
 
Anyone done or redone their irrigation solenoid valve wiring themselves? Our puppy had a field day with ours when I left the valve box open one day. I managed to figure it all out again but it is hacked together for now using porcelain screw connectors and one medium size chocolate block. I am looking at these to connect the signal wires together

View attachment 1941029




I need to find something for the ground wires, there is a single ground from controller that needs to connect to 8 individual grounds, one from each solenoid. Any suggestions?
Any specific reason you need those gel style connectors.

I would assume your box is indoors so you should be able to use these style connectors that you can get at any builders.


1790664661879.png

As for the ground, just daisy chain the connectors or use a way connector.
 
Any specific reason you need those gel style connectors.

I would assume your box is indoors so you should be able to use these style connectors that you can get at any builders.


View attachment 1941060

As for the ground, just daisy chain the connectors or use a way connector.

Valve box is outdoors and luckily whomever built our house put a gutter downpipe draining right on top of it :rolleyes: So, waterproof connectors are normally suggested but a must in our case.
 
eish, well, you can just daisy chain those connectors any ways. it will be the easiest, I don't think I have ever seen those gel connectors any bigger than the blue one.

A long term application that I would've done though is to join all the wires, solder it and then heat shrink but requires to have all of those goodies.
 
Top
Sign up to the MyBroadband newsletter
X