Irwin death film destroyed.

The incident was captured by the documentary crew of Ocean's Deadliest, the Discovery wildlife special Irwin was filming at the time of his death

They were right.
 
Definately the best thing to do.

He irritated me immensely, but he did alot of good for wildlife and conservation....
 
Well done wifey. I really dislike her, but the right decision was made here.
 
Aww. All that time spent refreshing rotten.com..for nothing.
 
Definately the best thing to do.

He irritated me immensely, but he did alot of good for wildlife and conservation....
Really?

From what I've read he was teaching people the wrong lessons. I mean, he'd walk into nature and then piss off a snake to the point where it wanted to strike at him. What do you think would happen if game rangers saw ordinary people trying out stuff like that? (Let's ignore for a moment that snakes are poisonous and focus on the fact that we are teasing the snake)
 
Really?
Let's ignore for a moment that snakes are poisonous and focus on the fact that we are teasing the snake)

Maybe you forgot that he was capable of doing such stunts, and didn't care if the snake was poisonous or not. Also, he ALWAYS stated to "never try this at home" in his shows. If people go around pissing off snakes and then get bitten, it's their own stupidity they'll then have to pay for. :rolleyes:
 
Maybe you forgot that he was capable of doing such stunts, and didn't care if the snake was poisonous or not. Also, he ALWAYS stated to "never try this at home" in his shows. If people go around pissing off snakes and then get bitten, it's their own stupidity they'll then have to pay for. :rolleyes:
You miss the point. The point is that in doing so he was teasing the animals. Is that a good thing to promote?

Would you like it if I slapped you about the face until you were so angry that you wanted to moer me?
 
I think it's a bit of both. Xarog has a point IMO. I am still an Irwin fan and I let my kids watch his movies, but I do explain that point to them. Being an amateur naturalist myself, I could see the benefit of the snake demos I used to do when working at the local croc farm, and collecting eggs from an irate female croc to incubate, despite the fact that you were irritating her, etc. etc. My approach was not to deliberately irk the animals, and I wasn't one to "show off" the fangs of a snake for example (I used sticks alot :) - we used skeletons to show fangs) - my theory is that the law of averages is against anyone who does this regularly - most of the snake people who have been bitten and died did this regularly and were bitten as a result. So yes, although I enjoy his stuff, I didn't agree with what I would call the typical Aussie in him (no offence intended)... he reminded me of Shane Warne at times :)
The thing that I really liked about him is his family side - he was always with his kids and wife and showed them off like he was the proudest father and husband on earth... it's not all bad... and again, this is my opinion - he was probably far more a real nature lover than show-off.
IMO SA has a worse case - anyone know Austin Stevens?
Some more clips here:
This one illustrates Xarog's point nicely when Austin changes his documentary from "the snouted cobra" to "being bitten by the snouted cobra" - if it wasn't so stupid, and dangerous, I would find it hilarious.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W9DFukDBP_E
 
Last edited:
I think in many cases the point that he always tried to emphasise was to respect your fellow create and he would outline their defensive characteristics. I've never been bitten by a snake, I grew up on a farm in the Eastern Cape, because I was always taught to avoid them at all cost or if they were too close to home get rid of them with a .22 and snake shot.

After watching a few I now know how they strike (granted on all are the same). I have less fear but more respect!

After all, now I know not to swim with rays! For his family, destroying the tape is to avoid the memory of his death and rather the celebration of his life.
 
He irritated me because of the way he treated animals, but you can't underestimate the value he did give back to conservation and wildlife by making it a topic people would watch.... Too many ppl have no idea about the real world outside there houses...
 
Top
Sign up to the MyBroadband newsletter
X