Is CCA cable "Solid"?

ld13

Honorary Master
A supplier is selling me a box of "Solid" cat cable. When I double checked with them on if it was solid, and not CCA lan cable, they replied, stating that it was not pure copper.

Am I under the wrong impression that unless it is specifically sold as CCA, all solid cables are supposed to be "pure" copper, or did I miss something?

Totempole

Expert Member
I had an issue like this with Esquire. I bought a 305m box of "Dany Cat5E Copper" solid cable for about R450. Turns out the word copper was included purely for decoration, or to indicate that there were trace amounts of copper used in the production of the cable.

It was the worst cable ever, even by CCA standards. Getting a refund from them was an absolute nightmare, but it did eventually happen.

Long story short, even the worst quality solid copper cable is better to use than the best quality CCA.

ld13

Honorary Master
I had an issue like this with Esquire. I bought a 305m box of "Dany Cat5E Copper" solid cable for about R450. Turns out the word copper was included purely for decoration, or to indicate that there were trace amounts of copper used in the production of the cable.

Seems to be the case here as well. Finally found some more info/reviews on the cable. The reviews states that the individual wires are more plastic than copper making them hard to work with in keystones or crimp ends ... back to Scoop I go.