Is it okay to use Wordpress?

Sudo Panic

Hey just a quick question, I've been getting mixed reviews online about Wordpress, some are saying there is nothing wrong with it if you keep it up to date and others are saying that you are asking to get hacked if you used Wordpress at all, to my understanding coding a site from scratch and using HTML seems like a solid approach but for someone that is inexperienced or updates a regular blog Wordpress seems great, am I missing something?

Wordpress is a CMS and in the end both methods serve you HTML websites albeit you need to ensure that the plugins stay up to date on Wordpress correct?

Thanks Fam!

RedViking

Nord of the South
MyBroadband is all WordPress. (not talking about the forum)

Wordpress is great because of the dashboard and plug-ins making it easy to manage even though you are not an experienced developer or Web designer. Only basic knowledge is required to set it up and manage.

It is as secure as any other platform. Watch a couple of courses on Udemy. They regularly sell it for a R100.

Last edited:

zippy

Executive Member
Wordpress like any other platform or technology is as good as or as bad as people implementing it. People essentially doing a cut-and-paste of an online tutorial into their production site is the real problem.

Arandompeer

I also got the same mixed response from people. Also I've seen people say Gatsby is a good thing to look into.:unsure:

gregmcc

Honorary Master
Nothing wrong with Wordpress. Just don't load any dodgy addons and keep everything up to date and you will be fine.

alanB

Just install the All In One WP Security Plug in and tick all the boxes. No issues after that.

Telasera

Telasera representative
Company Rep
Wordpress is very popular and with that there is a large amount of plugins and and themes that can be used. If you are diligent and plan to keep WP and its Plugins up-to date you should be okay. Most of the hacks you hear about are from un-patched versions.

konfab

Honorary Master
Hey just a quick question, I've been getting mixed reviews online about Wordpress, some are saying there is nothing wrong with it if you keep it up to date and others are saying that you are asking to get hacked if you used Wordpress at all, to my understanding coding a site from scratch and using HTML seems like a solid approach but for someone that is inexperienced or updates a regular blog Wordpress seems great, am I missing something?

Wordpress is a CMS and in the end both methods serve you HTML websites albeit you need to ensure that the plugins stay up to date on Wordpress correct?

Thanks Fam!
Depends on what you actually need.

If you just need a blog, wordpress is overkill. Static site generators like Hugo work very well, and really don't require much learning. The little bit of time you need to get used to it is paid back in the form that you don't have to worry about updating any plugins or any security related issues. If you are inexperienced, then it is actually superior since there are no security issues you need to worry about.

https://gohugo.io/

Datura

Captain Faptastic
Nothing wrong with Wordpress. Just don't load any dodgy addons and keep everything up to date and you will be fine.
This! Check your plugins. Make sure you configure the basic security or use the free version of WordFence plugin (no need if you take the time to do the installation properly - 30 minutes max). And maintain it like any other software. We use WP for 50% of our websites that we develop and have had very few show stopping issues with them over the last 5 years.

SauRoNZA

Honorary Master
SquareSpace seems to be getting a lot of traction lately, maybe it’s only good marketing.

MtraX

No problems with WordPress. 35% of the Internet runs on it. Give me a shout if you have any questions, I run a WordPress Dev & Marketing agency. PS https://www.prized.co.za/marketing/build-your-website-pro/ - if you enter this one you can learn how to build it and own it for a year at no cost. Thought it might be helpful.

Last edited:

RedViking

Nord of the South
No problems with WordPress. 35% of the Internet runs on it. Give me a shout if you have any questions, I run a WordPress Dev & Marketing agency.
Only 35?

I thought it was more like 60% ?

Johnatan56

Honorary Master
Only 35?

I thought it was more like 60% ?
~35% of all sites, ~60% of all CMS.

Wordpress is fine, especially for something like blogs due to great SEO addons etc.
Hugo can be good if you're just writing a blog for you, needs a bit more technical know-how though.

chrisc

Executive Member
I have used it for a holiday flat rental site. You can incorporate e-commerce payments. Ideal for tourists

Of course right now, there is 0% occupancy since there are no tourists. In December-January it was 100% booked