Is MTN Gallo Manor down?

MickeyD

RIP
It appears that MTN Gallo Manor went down at the same time as the local hacks, and remains down? Either the entire DC is down or only the NSone DNS proxy and CDN services, but it seems the DC itself is down.

Anyone know something about this?

Anon having fun at Gallo manor?

Second time a major DC like that has gone down,

Guess they can throw away that 99.99998% uptime award.....

Anon having fun at Gallo manor?

Second time a major DC like that has gone down,

Guess they can throw away that 99.99998% uptime award.....

Gallo Manor is down atleast 4 times a year. The most incompetent techs you can think of afrihost should rather not play the hosting game, they failed they should rather focus on trying to get adsl to work

That's why we insist on providing hosted PBX and internet services from Teraco - it costs us a bit more but its worth it

Not sure where this information comes from, whether some of MTN's hosting is affected, but Afrihost hosting at Gallo Manor is up and running, no outages.
Also, for the bit about linking Afrihost ADSL DNS issues to this is unfounded, as Afrihost does not use any MTN services for it's DSL.

Update from Afrihost clarifying that as far as it can tell, its DNS issues are not linked to an outage on MTN, and that its Gallo Manor environment is up-and-running.

My MTN Fibre went down this evening, no internet access since 6pm, wondering if there is a link as its routed through Gallo Manor?

This must be the most unreliable DC in SA. So glad Hetzner moved. There must have been at least six outages in the last three years (that I can remember).

This must be the most unreliable DC in SA. So glad Hetzner moved. There must have been at least six outages in the last three years (that I can remember).

You mean in the last 15 months

Update from MTN: "As far as we are aware there was no failure or outage in our Gallo manor DC."

What reputation does this company have? ZERO.

They where down our logs don't lie.

MTN’s Gallo Manor Data Centre did not experience downtime

MTN has dismissed reports that its Gallo Manor Data Centre suffered downtime.

MyBroadband asked the wrong questions!!

You needed to ask why the DNS and CDN services hosted there were down. Or was it caused by their upgrading an ATM link to Fibre that resulted in many customers losing network connectivity?

Asking whether the DC was down was an easy question for MTN to sidestep. Was it accessible ?

Anything hosted at MTN Gallo Manor couldn't be accessed. It failed DNS lookup but the DNS was correctly pointing to the right servers. So why was this the case?

Sorry but even on MTN mobile at the time DNS appeared to have failed at the DC and not as a result of routing changes by ISPs. Even their own MTN shop was inaccessible. International services that serve content from hosted CDNs at MTN were inaccessible, like imgur and those using local ns1 DNS like Lifehacker (fastly hosted service) failed when pointing locally. A number of services that relied on ns1 DNS were inaccessible during this time and were not isolated to a single hosting provider internationally, but rather all made use of local DNS nodes that appear to be hosted by MTN. Reports came in of MTN cloud fibre customers having issues THEREAFTER on mybroadband.

All hosted by MTN. So perhaps the DC as a whole was up. But why were these services inaccessible, including MTN's own shop front? And why when bypassing the local node did it work 100%? Why when pointing to the IP did it also fail, indicating that DNS wasn't the root cause but perhaps something else at the DC was giving issues? Are these all unsubstantiated, because we have a trail on our support desk showing otherwise as well as checks on multiple ISPs, DNS services, and MTN's own data network confirming the same experience...

MyBroadband apologises to its readers and to MTN for the inaccurate report.

Shame on you. Did MTN offer ANY explanation why their services were down?

MyBroadband asked the wrong questions!!

You needed to ask why the DNS and CDN services hosted there were down.

We did. Here's what happened:

I asked them if the DC was down, they said it wasn't, but by then the initial article on the reports of downtime was up and been updated with feedback from Afrihost.

I then asked a follow-up question about the NSone and CDN downtime, and they have yet to answer my questions.

Did MTN offer ANY explanation why their services were down?

No.

I then asked a follow-up question about the NSone and CDN downtime, and they have yet to answer my questions.
Should have included that in the article...

then we would not have to Steenhuizen you! :p

Back