Is taking a Comptia A+ worth it?

I'm helping my brother get his feet on the ground by assisting him find a entry level Job. Do you think a Comptia A+ and Matric is worth it to find something?

jsheed_sa

Expert Member
I personally wouldn't touch the Comptia certs as I don't feel they are valued much.

If he's interested in Linux I'd go after the RHCSA first as RH certs still hold a fair amount of weight.

That being said A+ and N+ is probably a good start if he's got zero experience - but I'd self study as they're definitely not worth the 10k+ some schools charge (for the same material you can download).

We are thinking of doing self study rather then pay for high fees at local centers.

He definitely does not have experience. So he'll be doing a A+ and N+ :) We looking for something that can get him in the door for a entry level Job soon

I was doing some research and then noticed that there's new codes being brought in tomorrow on the 15th January 2019

http://www.pearsonvue.com/comptia/

220 - 1001 & 220 - 1002 (core 1 and core 2 series)

Will these be different compared to the first ones?

I personally wouldn't touch the Comptia certs as I don't feel they are valued much.

If he's interested in Linux I'd go after the RHCSA first as RH certs still hold a fair amount of weight.

That being said A+ and N+ is probably a good start if he's got zero experience - but I'd self study as they're definitely not worth the 10k+ some schools charge (for the same material you can download).

Method

Executive Member
I'm helping my brother get his feet on the ground by assisting him find a entry level Job. Do you think a Comptia A+ and Matric is worth it to find something?
If he has very little knowledge of computing, then yes, it's a good way to start, but if he is well versed with hardware, then I'd say it's a waste of time.

Rather do something like CCNA or MCSE or something in that line.