Is There a (good) General Software Store like Steam?

rambo919

Executive Member
We have steam for games but nothing I for the plethora of random trialware or "AAA" software that I am aware of, does such a site exist that is not a scam or does it as a secondary concern?

And if not a store at least a indexer with sale notifications?

rambo919

Executive Member
Microsoft Store https://www.microsoft.com/en-za/store/apps/windows for windows. The big problem is it's cheaper for companies selling software on their own website.
The problem there is the UWP system..... which with it's locked down nature frankly is terrible. If you could purchase the licence through MSSTORE and use it on the proper installs more people (including me) would consider it.

Dairyfarmer

Expert Member
@rambo919
On occasion I have used "other" places to get fully functioning software to trial as trialware is a PITA most times

rambo919

Executive Member
@rambo919
On occasion I have used "other" places to get fully functioning software to trial as trialware is a PITA most times
So does everyone in SA that is honest about it....

I just am genuinely curious as to whether such a place exists somewhere..... and if it has the occational sale I would be interested in creating a wishlist. Most of what I want is not on the MSStore anyway, I checked, and on the dev websites it's usually WAY too expensive for me to actually consider.

PeterPan420

Urist

Expert Member
For most things there's usually perfectly good freeware on techsupportalert, and for serious business theres microsoft, adobe, autodesk etc. Usually people don't buy such a wide range of software, and when they do they don't buy new ones because they're getting bored of the old ones.
Oh, that and there's a software section on steam.

Dairyfarmer

Expert Member
So does everyone in SA that is honest about it....
Don't think so, but anyone stupid enough to install warzes on a day to day system is stupid. We use to test in a VM or sacrifice system. If it was what we wanted then we would go an get it legit.

rambo919

Executive Member
Don't think so, but anyone stupid enough to install warzes on a day to day system is stupid. We use to test in a VM or sacrifice system. If it was what we wanted then we would go an get it legit.
That's what a proper security suite and and common sense is for.... and yes everyone pirates everything in the real world where monthly salary's are less than R10k a month..... which is by far the majority of SA and this forum respectively..... which is where the honesty part comes in.

But actually paying for everything where possible is obviously preferable even if you use pirated versions (either before or after, yes there are often reasons to still use the cracked version even if you paid for genuine).... as a matter of honour.

Mystic Twilight

Expert Member
Sourceforge if you just want to rummage through anything software related, scroll to the bottom and pick a category. Your expectation for quality and usability may vary.

GreGorGy

BULLSFAN
The problem there is the UWP system..... which with it's locked down nature frankly is terrible. If you could purchase the licence through MSSTORE and use it on the proper installs more people (including me) would consider it.
What is the UWP system? You make it sound like that software is not the same as a "proper" install. And what is a proper install?

I know on mac, whatever I buy on the App Store I can install on any of my macs.

rambo919

Executive Member
What is the UWP system? You make it sound like that software is not the same as a "proper" install. And what is a proper install?

I know on mac, whatever I buy on the App Store I can install on any of my macs.
Being used to mac you are used to having the system have control over you instead of the other way around I suppose.

UWP installs are basically like having everything have DRM not just a few executables, you cant even choose where to install the app and you are chained to the store ecosystem. Also while it's apparently possible to make offline backups of installers it's a major PITA and does not always work properly.

The irony here is in some cases windows gives the user more control than linux.... sometimes slight chaos really is more freedom.