Is this a rocket launch?

The_MAC

Executive Member
Saw this on 14 May (Tuesday) @ 17:30.

It was moving upwards. I was standing in Sunninghill looking towards Fourways/Lonehill.

Sorry for the poor pic, it was dark and I used a phone.

DSC_0863.JPG

MEIOT

Expert Member
More likely a Meteorite burning up. Up and Down is a man made construct...technically :laugh: it's all about perspective.

Not commonly known but meteorites can rise from the horizon. I've seen quite a few similar occurrences to yours. Puzzled me at the time too :D

Gordon_R

Executive Member
Far more likely to be a jet condensation trail back-lit by the setting sun, with the amount of high cirrus cloud passing over the Cape country recently.

Nothing like any meteor photo I have ever seen.

Satellite photo at 5pm on Tues 14th:
MET9_721-southernAfrica_20190514_1500_crop_25X2].jpg

Last edited:

Gordon_R

Executive Member
Pic was take in JHB
Yes, I can read...

Edit: I don't live in Joburg, so can't make a categorical statement, but from both the ground photo, and the satellite view, it is obvious that there was a lot of cirrus around.

Last edited:

The_MAC

Executive Member
Far more likely to be a jet condensation trail back-lit by the setting sun, with the amount of high cirrus cloud passing over the Cape country recently.

Nothing like any meteor photo I have ever seen.

Satellite photo at 5pm on Tues 14th:
View attachment 658940
I guess it could have been a take-off from Lanseria airport. But that gradient didn't resemble other condensation clouds you see daily, and it was relatively "wide" in it's profile.

Bobbin

Executive Member
I noticed something similar in that area two or three years ago. I was on the N1 approaching William Nicol. There was something resembling a rocket moving upwards in the distance. And not so much of an angle as OP pic and had much more of a trail but still looked the same IIRC. My only thought was those amateur rocketry guys (Not sure if any in JHB) but otherwise I had no idea what I was seeing.

Last edited: