ISP for heavy bandwirth and gaming

DarshanN95

Hi Guys

I have been looking around for an ISP to provide VDSL at the best price on a capped account. I have no idea who to choose, i have switched from mweb to affrights to crystal web on a 10mbs line capped accounts put my latency on Xbox Live is so poor.

I heavily Stream from youtube, twitch and do torrenting! If anyone can help :)

Im looking at getting 20mbs-40mpbs line speeds on a possible 100GB and up Capped account. Is latency an issue when gaming on a 20mbs-40mpbs line?

Thanks Guys

zolly

Expert Member
Hi Guys

I have been looking around for an ISP to provide VDSL at the best price on a capped account. I have no idea who to choose, i have switched from mweb to affrights to crystal web on a 10mbs line capped accounts put my latency on Xbox Live is so poor.

I heavily Stream from youtube, twitch and do torrenting! If anyone can help :)

Im looking at getting 20mbs-40mpbs line speeds on a possible 100GB and up Capped account. Is latency an issue when gaming on a 20mbs-40mpbs line?

Thanks Guys
Got bad news for you. Increasing your bandwidth will not necessarily decrease your latency unless the game is insanely heavy on the bandwidth usage. For example, I get about 180 ms to the League of Legends servers in EU on 10 meg, and others get the same on 4 meg, or even 2 meg.

Thing is about Xbox Live is that it's mostly P2P, so if you're connecting to someone in the States, you're going to get 250-400 ping regardless of your ISP and how fat your pipe is.

Your best bet is to try and connect to EU or SA games so that the lag is less noticeable using the matchmaking system, but I'm not sure if this is possible on Xbox Live.

Otherwise you need to join local gaming forums, find out who the local players are, and add them to your friends list. Then you can just connect to local games through your friends.

DarshanN95

Got bad news for you. Increasing your bandwidth will not necessarily decrease your latency unless the game is insanely heavy on the bandwidth usage. For example, I get about 180 ms to the League of Legends servers in EU on 10 meg, and others get the same on 4 meg, or even 2 meg.

Thing is about Xbox Live is that it's mostly P2P, so if you're connecting to someone in the States, you're going to get 250-400 ping regardless of your ISP and how fat your pipe is.

Your best bet is to try and connect to EU or SA games so that the lag is less noticeable using the matchmaking system, but I'm not sure if this is possible on Xbox Live.

Otherwise you need to join local gaming forums, find out who the local players are, and add them to your friends list. Then you can just connect to local games through your friends.
Can u recommend an ISP that you feel has the best benefits for gaming?

Nitelee

I use webafrica's Home Pro 200Gb+800Gb for my 40 mb line. It works really nicely for me.

I currently get local speedtest pings of 7ms, 150-17ms international pings.

Used it for PS4 and for PC gaming and never had a problem. My kids are also permanently streaming Youtube and I run 2X Roku's running netflix\hulu. Like I said, all of these are often running at the same time and I have no issues.

It is effectively their unshaped offering.

Last edited:

agentrfr

Expert Member
Crystalweb is the only proper ISP IMO. It is run by two guys on the forums.

You pay for internet. No fluff or fancy things. Just pure internet.

kooldude

Expert Member
Crystalweb is the only proper ISP IMO. It is run by two guys on the forums.

You pay for internet. No fluff or fancy things. Just pure internet.
OP says that he is with Crystal Web. May be he is not satisfied with CrystalWeb's internet.

agentrfr

Expert Member
OP says that he is with Crystal Web. May be he is not satisfied with CrystalWeb's internet.
You are correct and I can't read.

A bit odd though OP is getting latency issues.

@OP Are you sure when you are playing you dont have any downloads running in the background? Perhaps post a tracert when you are trying to play and put the results here.

StevenC

Expert Member
More importantly, what account types are you taking OP?

I have exceptionally good latency on CW at all times during the day, even on a 2MB line. I have uncapped unshaped.

For streaming, you really shouldn't have issues on CW, this is their number one priority, with gaming sitting right next to it.