ISP Moving - Openserve to Openserve what is process ? (Not telkom)

KinsZA

Expert Member
Hi

As the subject says.
My recent experience with cool ideas has made me start looking elsewhere, however I'm unsure of how moving between two non-telkom openserve ISP's works. I am still deciding on my next ISP but it only openserve is available in my area.

Thanks

cavedog

Honorary Master
Well the most important steps is getting your line in the holding pool so Cool Ideas needs to release the line and once in the holding pool the new ISP needs to snatch it from the holdinv pool. It shouldn't be a big thing as long as both ISPs play nice.

Now the question who are you looking at and what speed.

KinsZA

Expert Member
Currently on 20/10 but thinking CellC. Have a friend who is happy with their performance and their support does have tiers of escalation.

24H support is important to me, not because I would want to call at the early hours of the morning but it shows that the company cares enough to pay someone to do it.

So basically cancel with request for line to go into holding pool, one is in the pool sign up with new ISP and provide B number?

Last edited:

STORMERSFAN

Well the most important steps is getting your line in the holding pool so Cool Ideas needs to release the line and once in the holding pool the new ISP needs to snatch it from the holdinv pool. It shouldn't be a big thing as long as both ISPs play nice.

Now the question who are you looking at and what speed.
Who would u recommend if you were to move from cool ideas(vumatel) ..preferably isp that doesn't charge an activation fee to move over.. I'm considering moving as well but don't want to be worse off if I leave CI.. 20/2

cavedog

Honorary Master
Currently on 20/10 but thinking CellC. Have a friend who is happy with their performance and their support does have tiers of escalation.

24H support is important to me, not because I would want to call at the early hours of the morning but it shows that the company cares enough to pay someone to do it.

So basically cancel with request for line to go into holding pool, one is in the pool sign up with new ISP and provide B number?
Yes or the new ISP will trigger a new install. Make it very clear in any way possible that it's a migration with active ONT and B number. Also helps you not being tied down in a clawback as any clawback will only be the migration fee of R599 and free to use router.

cavedog

Honorary Master
Who would u recommend if you were to move from cool ideas(vumatel) ..preferably isp that doesn't charge an activation fee to move over.. I'm considering moving as well but don't want to be worse off if I leave CI.. 20/2
On Vumatel I can't say for sure. I don't even know how cool ideas is but I'm using SUpersonic on Openserve 200Mbps and it's been the best internet I ever had. Their support can be lacking sometimes like any company because you first need to go through the China wall of 1st line support but their network is well IMO THE BEST and I tried multiple ISP's because with Openserve you just change the PPPoE details and Supersonic is pretty solid.

I heard good things about Accelerit from my friend too and he uses a 20/20 on their network but I believe they have an activation fee or something. Home-Connect is also pretty decent. Bitco home fibre and Macrolan has been getting good feedback. You have so much choice and the fact that you already have a line installed makes things so much easier in terms of claw back fees.

KinsZA

Expert Member
I ended up choosing C-Fiber, 40/20 for R999 (Paying R999 for 20/10 right now)

Had to fill in some forms, once I have the B number they will just pick it up from there and pro-rata from when its released.

Edit: In case anyone's wondering why I chose C-Fiber,

1. I'm tired of small companies that fade out,
  2. I know someone with it who is happy,
  3. I understand their front line support is not good but also know its possible to escalate up the support chain
  4. Price is great
  5. No FUP only AUP

Last edited:

cavedog

Honorary Master
I ended up choosing C-Fiber, 40/20 for R999 (Paying R999 for 20/10 right now)

Had to fill in some forms, once I have the B number they will just pick it up from there and pro-rata from when its released.

Edit: In case anyone's wondering why I chose C-Fiber,

1. I'm tired of small companies that fade out,
  2. I know someone with it who is happy,
  3. I understand their front line support is not good but also know its possible to escalate up the support chain
  4. Price is great
  5. No FUP only AUP
Well I don't think you need o convince anyone why you went with C-Fibre. You actually just missed the 3 months free promo but other than that C-Fibre is pretty decent. If I listened to everyone that told me DO NOT go with Supersonic I would probably have missed out on some decent internet. They have a decent network too. Internet just works as it's supposed too.

STORMERSFAN

On Vumatel I can't say for sure. I don't even know how cool ideas is but I'm using SUpersonic on Openserve 200Mbps and it's been the best internet I ever had. Their support can be lacking sometimes like any company because you first need to go through the China wall of 1st line support but their network is well IMO THE BEST and I tried multiple ISP's because with Openserve you just change the PPPoE details and Supersonic is pretty solid.

I heard good things about Accelerit from my friend too and he uses a 20/20 on their network but I believe they have an activation fee or something. Home-Connect is also pretty decent. Bitco home fibre and Macrolan has been getting good feedback. You have so much choice and the fact that you already have a line installed makes things so much easier in terms of claw back fees.
Might actually give websquad a go..

KinsZA

Expert Member
Well I don't think you need o convince anyone why you went with C-Fibre. You actually just missed the 3 months free promo but other than that C-Fibre is pretty decent. If I listened to everyone that told me DO NOT go with Supersonic I would probably have missed out on some decent internet. They have a decent network too. Internet just works as it's supposed too.
I'm actually back on the fence about who to go with, it's a really terribly hard thing since unlike ADSL you cant just get an account to test you have to go through the whole move process and hope they dont suck.

I cancelled my CellC signup and there are so many to choose from yet its a big time gamble. I am hoping supersonic will give out a test account but I have my doubts, I bet plenty people ask.

PBCool

Cool Ideas
Company Rep
I'm actually back on the fence about who to go with, it's a really terribly hard thing since unlike ADSL you cant just get an account to test you have to go through the whole move process and hope they dont suck.

I cancelled my CellC signup and there are so many to choose from yet its a big time gamble. I am hoping supersonic will give out a test account but I have my doubts, I bet plenty people ask.
What issues are you having with our service?

cavedog

Honorary Master

May I ask why you cancelled your order with C-Fibre?

Drop me a pm if you are keen on testing the network.

WickedMONK3Y

I have heard really good things about Supersonic and Websquad, and if I had issues in the future those would likely be my next point of call, or Bitco. We use Bitco as our provider at work for our 500/500 and that connection is rock solid and has never gone down, but then a 1/1 contention ratio business line is not the same as a home line.

cavedog

Honorary Master
Lol that's funny, moving from CISP to cell c and expecting an improvement
People was saying a similar thing to me when I opted to go with Supersonic. Glad I never listened because Supersonic internet is the best.

Rpfoxx

Currently switching from webafrica to CISP openserve, So far a nightmare having the fibre line released, apparently with openserve your old isp can either apply to release your line immediately with a fee or put it in a 30day turnaround before it can be taken over by new isp, not sure the isp are even clear on this as I specifically said to have no downtime when switching isp but yet got put in a 30 day hold. Something to be aware of if your trying to switch between non-telkom openserve isps.

TheV

I'm in the process of moving my OpenServe line from Cool Ideas. They assured me via the cancellation mail:
The line will be released on the 31/07/2019, so that the new ISP can activate on the 01/08/2019.
I'm really hoping that the transfer goes smoothly.