iTunes 11

thed33p

What you guys think of it? Just installed and it seems to be an improvement.....

Pooky

Garfield's Teddy
It will take some getting used to. I loved having my playlists on the left and then all the music on the right, not it seems I have to switch between them.

greg0205

Honorary Master
It will take some getting used to. I loved having my playlists on the left and then all the music on the right, not it seems I have to switch between them.

The sidebar is still there if you want it... iTunes/View/View Sidebar

DJ...

Banned
Ridiculous that I can't update iTunes without updating the entire operating system. Unless ITunes is 2GB? I tried to update from iTunes and it just took me straight back to the Mac Software Update. It's now installing a combined update.

Also, as per another thread, I see that there is still no native kiosk mode which is an oversight that I don't quite understand...

R13...

Honorary Master
Ridiculous that I can't update iTunes without updating the entire operating system. Unless ITunes is 2GB? I tried to update from iTunes and it just took me straight back to the Mac Software Update. It's now installing a combined update.

Also, as per another thread, I see that there is still no native kiosk mode which is an oversight that I don't quite understand...

Rather go to apple.com and download iTunes. I had a similar issue using the software update on an iMac.

DJ...

Banned
I am, but the problem is the update has now tried twice to download and failed. And Apple doesn't allow me to restore from where it left off so I've lost 3GB of data so far just trying. Even Windows downloads each file individually and not as one large batch. As a new Apple user I find that it has just as many little annoyances as Windows. Tends to be a slightly better UI feeling but in using it for a bit now I really don't understand the fanboy support...

bwana

MyBroadband
Super Moderator
Combined update for??? The update on a machine running 10.6.8 was only 190mb.

DJ...

Banned
Combined update for??? The update on a machine running 10.6.8 was only 190mb.

It's the Macbook Air I won on here. This is its first update so I'm assuming there are quite a few of them in there. My gripe is that it downloads as one large file and has failed twice already. So now we try again - another 2 hours and another 2.06GB...

bwana

MyBroadband
Super Moderator
It's the Macbook Air I won on here. This is its first update so I'm assuming there are quite a few of them in there. My gripe is that it downloads as one large file and has failed twice already. So now we try again - another 2 hours and another 2.06GB...
What version of the os was it shipped with.

You can download the combo update to bring any version of 10.8 up to 10.8.2 here - http://support.apple.com/kb/DL1581 - as you can see that's just 665gb. Not sure what you're trying to download now but it's most certainly several different files.

iTunes 11 can be downloaded here: http://www.apple.com/itunes/

EDIT - your best bet if you're having problems with Software Update is to download directly using a download manager like iGetter

Last edited:

DJ...

Banned

You can download the combo update to bring any version of 10.8 up to 10.8.2 here - http://support.apple.com/kb/DL1581 - as you can see that's just 665gb. Not sure what you're trying to download now but it's most certainly several different files.

EDIT - your best bet if you're having problems with Software Update is to download directly using a download manager like iGetter

Shipped with 10.7.3. 665GB you say? I'll have to run the OS off an external hard drive...:D

Problem is that the update selection from within iTunes takes me straight to the Mac Software Updater, and not to the iTunes download itself. And wrt the actual update - it only gives me a single indicator bar for the entire download and no info regarding the files it is downloading. Not even sure how I'd go about downloading the updates with a download manager. With Windows I'd just select which updates I wanted to download based on the file name and detailed info, so it's all or nothing.

Look, there are things I absolutely love about this machine. In fact I don't open my Windows machine any longer, I just remote desktop into it and do all of my MS Office related work that way - no need to install Office on the machine. And I love the gestures on the trackpad and how items open up into new windows. I just despise the file explorer, screenshots saving to the desktop, the launcher not showing on expanded applications (like if I have two applications opened in full screen - I can't get to the launcher or anywhere else for that matter until I minimize one of the apps) and a few other little things that I'm sure is just me not understanding how to operate it yet.

Overall it's awesome though...

bwana

MyBroadband
Super Moderator
Shipped with 10.7.3. 665GB you say? I'll have to run the OS off an external hard drive...:D

Problem is that the update selection from within iTunes takes me straight to the Mac Software Updater, and not to the iTunes download itself. And wrt the actual update - it only gives me a single indicator bar for the entire download and no info regarding the files it is downloading. Not even sure how I'd go about downloading the updates with a download manager. With Windows I'd just select which updates I wanted to download based on the file name and detailed info, so it's all or nothing.

Look, there are things I absolutely love about this machine. In fact I don't open my Windows machine any longer, I just remote desktop into it and do all of my MS Office related work that way - no need to install Office on the machine. And I love the gestures on the trackpad and how items open up into new windows. I just despise the file explorer, screenshots saving to the desktop, the launcher not showing on expanded applications (like if I have two applications opened in full screen - I can't get to the launcher or anywhere else for that matter until I minimize one of the apps) and a few other little things that I'm sure is just me not understanding how to operate it yet.

Ok - surprised it came with 10.7 but in that case the update will be a larger - its a major update from the previous operating to the current one and you'll need to do it via software update unless you know someone who will copy it to a flash drive for you.

DJ...

Banned
The update just failed again! Says the download might have been corrupted and will verify the next time updater runs. I then run updater again, it starts from scratch and the same issue arises...:mad:

No error codes; no info about the files; nothing at all to help me fix it...

greg0205

Honorary Master

iTunes 11 direct download link

bwana

MyBroadband
Super Moderator
The update just failed again! Says the download might have been corrupted and will verify the next time updater runs. I then run updater again, it starts from scratch and the same issue arises...:mad:

No error codes; no info about the files; nothing at all to help me fix it...
Who is your ISP?

greg0205

Honorary Master

I agree with bwana, it's surprising that it came with Lion.

People love or hate finder, there are alternatives out there if you're really not getting on with it. Then, if you have two or more apps open in full-screen and you need to switch, it's a four-finger swipe up the trackpad or your F3 key. You can also get to the Launchpad with a five-finger "pinch" on the trackpad or with the F4 key.