iTunes Problem in Win7 x64

PhreeMe

Expert Member
Hi Guys

Im getting rather frustrated with iTunes now!!!!!!! I recently upgraded to Win7 pro X64 and even more recently purchased an iPod Nano. I downloaded iTunes 9.0.3 64bit installed it and it worked fine on first launch. Registered my iPod, imported my music etc. Since then it doesnt even launch!! As soon as I launch iTunes I get than Windows error reporting screen where you can check online for a solution (doesnt help) or close the program.

I've tried uninstall/reinstall as well as the 32bit variant just in case. Tried disconnecting from the net as well as disabling my antivirus (iTunes Support suggests those) all with no luck.

I now cannot do a damn thing with my newly acquired iPod aside from listen to the few tracks I (fortunately) copied on when iTunes first launched!! :mad:

Any help would be greatly appreciated!! If my specs are needed pls let me know.

howardb

Expert Member
I have v9.0.2.25 installed on my Win 7 Pro 64-bit and no issues at all. Are you running it under Admin mode?

PhreeMe

Expert Member
Sadly I tried Admin mode and every compatability mode I could all with no luck :(

howardb

Expert Member
Mmm. Try uninstalling iTunes (with the iPod not connected), then reboot.
Once booted, connect the iPod and see what Win 7 does - does it pick it up automatically? If prompted for the driver, insert the disc that came with the iPod (or download from the net) and let it pick it up and install - disconnect the iPod. Reboot once done.
Install iTunes. Reboot.
Connect the iPod and see if iTunes starts automatically.
If not, disconnect the iPod, start iTunes manually, then reconnect the iPod.

PhreeMe

Expert Member
Thanks for the help....
In my efforts to get it working I'd run through your suggestions howard.... Win 7 has no probs picking up the iPod as a removable disk. Is that whats meant to happen?
I've not installed any mobo (MSI X58 Pro-E) drivers.... I cant see why, but would installing the drivers off the disk make any difference??

howardb

Expert Member
Mine also picks it up as a removable disk when plugged in - I recall a setting in iTunes that sets this up, but don't have the details at hand - I'll have a look when at home later and advise what settings I have on my iTunes software. Try opening iTunes without the iPod connected and play around with the device settings, before connecting.

On the motherboard drivers, it may make a difference, depending on the manufacturer - some generic drivers with Windows do not as expected with some hardware types, so it's always adviseable to install the manufacturer's latest ones, particulary for the motherboard. Check on the MSI website and see if there is an updated Win 7 64-bit driver set for your motherboard, and give that a bash.

PhreeMe

Expert Member
Thanks for the help bud! I'll give the drivers a shot. Sadly I can't even get the program to open.... with or without the iPod connected :(

howardb

Expert Member
NP PhreeMe! Are you loading the iTunes that came with the Nano - maybe try an earlier version. I'll look at the size of my installation file and maybe send you a link to d/l and try.

howardb

Expert Member
Right, still looking for the previous installation/setup file I used - may take a while as their on DVD archives...

In the interim, did you try the following:
http://support.apple.com/kb/TS1538

It seems that the motherboard USB drivers could be part of the problem - let me know if iTunes installs properly after you've installed the latest 64-bit motherboard drivers.

Was this the 64-bit iTunes version (94.6MB size) you downloaded and tried?

PhreeMe

Expert Member
Thanks for the link :)
I may need to clarify my actual problem though.... iTunes doesn't even open. Double click on shortcut.... error. Thats regardless of whether the iPod is attached or not, whether Im connected to the internet or not and anti virus is enabled or not.
Will still try mobo drivers and any other advice you can offer will be greatly appreciated!!

PhreeMe

Expert Member
Hey bud, never fear.... googled "quicktime has stopped responding" and found a link to an iTunes prob just like mine :)
Turns out its Acemegacodecs.... as soon as I uninstalled, BAM!! iTunes works.
Thanks for the help though!