Java is the most popular programming language in the world

Skerminkel

Expert Member
Tiobe – The ratings are based on the number of skilled engineers worldwide, courses, and third-party vendors. Popular search engines are also used to calculate the ratings.
And by "skilled engineers" I assume they mean people with an engineering degree and at least 3-4 years applicable experience with mentoring by another registered professional engineer? Or are we calling plumbers drain surgeons here?

rawoke

It's a PIA to code in java way too enterprize'ish for me
I'm not an expert but at the last java shop I was I remember the process for a crud app in spring you will end up editing 5+ files (just the api now)
its layer upon layer upon layer... :(
Maybe thats why java dev's get paid so much ! Cause its such a hassle !

cguy

Executive Member
And by "skilled engineers" I assume they mean people with an engineering degree and at least 3-4 years applicable experience with mentoring by another registered professional engineer? Or are we calling plumbers drain surgeons here?
In the US at least, "engineer" typically gets applied to software developers too. Yeah, some of them have pretty basic education and do pretty basic jobs too, but then again many also have PhDs and decades of experience.

Skerminkel

Expert Member
In the US at least, "engineer" typically gets applied to software developers too. Yeah, some of them have pretty basic education and do pretty basic jobs too, but then again many also have PhDs and decades of experience.
It was actually the British who first screwed the title of the profession by using "engineer" for someone who operates and engine.

cguy

Executive Member
It was actually the British who first screwed the title of the profession by using "engineer" for someone who operates and engine.
I for one think it would be awesome if my compiler outputed "Choo Choo" on success.

NarrowBandFtw

Honorary Master
It's a PIA to code in java way too enterprize'ish for me
I'm not an expert but at the last java shop I was I remember the process for a crud app in spring you will end up editing 5+ files (just the api now)
its layer upon layer upon layer... :(
Maybe thats why java dev's get paid so much ! Cause its such a hassle !
That's not Java's fault, but whoever designed the apps. You can easily slap every line of code into your god-class design in Java if you want.