Kempton Park Base station Locations / External Antenna

caretaker

New Member
Joined
Sep 24, 2013
Messages
3
Reaction score
0
Location
Kempton Park
Good Morning all

New to the forum so I hope to get some input on this. :D

Need some assistance please. I stay in Terenure, Kempton Park (next to the P91). I have been using Iburst for the last 18 months without any problems at home (signal normally showing between 92 - 100%, depending on the location i put the modem) however this from the 18/09/13 i have had very poor connection. I contacted Iburst only to be told i need to get a directional antenna, which would defeat the objective of having the USB modem.

Now for the questions part
1. where is my area is the base stations located , because the coverage map doesn't really help in locating them.
2. which would be better, flat panel or omnidirectional - is it worth the money to get the antenna.
3. can the antenna be made, so u can move them around (mount it on a base so u can move it around, take it to different locations in kempton park area) added I stay in a townhouse complex, so its not really a option to put the antenna on a permanent mounted location.
 
New to the forum so I hope to get some input on this. :D
Welcome! :D

Have a look through some of the FAQs
1. where is my area is the base stations located , because the coverage map doesn't really help in locating them.
You can sometimes figure out the locations from the coverage map, otherwise send a PM to user iBurst with your GPS co-ordinates and ask nicely for the locations of your closest base stations.
2. which would be better, flat panel or omnidirectional - is it worth the money to get the antenna.
The flat panel has a better gain and you can aim it at a less loaded base station if necessary.
3. can the antenna be made, so u can move them around (mount it on a base so u can move it around, take it to different locations in kempton park area) added I stay in a townhouse complex, so its not really a option to put the antenna on a permanent mounted location.
You can get a small omni-directional antenna for your USB modem that clips onto the lid of your laptop.
 
Thanks Ginggs

I have been busy, I have been able to locate 2 base station close to me, No wonder I have bad signal, both are located on top of church towers..... not on proper towers, so u basically have all the buildings, trees & other objects to contend with to get signal.

I can actually see one tower from the kitchen window.....

Would u by any odds have a supplier where i can locate the small omni antenna & also a price more or less..... I went to the local suppliers close to the office & they can only help with a big omni / flat panel that u have to mount on the roof or the wall....

I am willing to look at second hand antennas that is still working, cause the new units are heavy on the pocket.
 
Thanx Bud

Will contact them in the morning & see if they can assist, will check with a different shop maybe because the one close to the office only has the big omni in stock, I have tried to locate on on the web but no joy so far.

If u do know of any one that might have something that could work, please send me the details
 
Top
Sign up to the MyBroadband newsletter
X