Latency Issues between CPT and JHB

lukekay

Hi All,

I am asking all in CPT who are experiencing issues every evening from around 7 pm till a little after 10 pm to please respond to this thread with any information regarding traceroutes, mtr results and ping plotter graphs when they experience the ludacris latency locally and subsequently internationally. I have personally witnessed it happening on CrystalWeb(ADSL) and WebAfrica(Fibre) at the above mentioned times every night for the last 2 to 3 weeks.

My reasoning behind this post is to determine the scope of which ISP's are being effected and if there is any link between them.

I thank you in advance for your assistance.

lukekay

View attachment 510247

Here is my tracert from last night to evetech.co.za which is hosted locally. I unfortunately do not have the one I did without passing -d to the command. This was from 19:46.

PBCool

Cool Ideas
Company Rep
CrystalWebs ADSL might still be on IS and WA uses IS' network as well, might be your link there?

geyer_za

I've been having the same issues on OpenServe using Webafrica.. past 3 weeks, almost every evening after 7pm - latency goes to sh*t..

lukekay

28-03-2018.PNG

Pings tonight... but I did see that webafrica has finally acknowledged the issue publicly! There is hope yet...

treebsd

CrystalWebs ADSL might still be on IS and WA uses IS' network as well, might be your link there?

CW's adsl base is no longer on IS. they moved them to evonet, difference ipc

Detka

Crystalweb FIber in CPT during 7-23.00 latency and packet loss is out this world.

Just to put edit here on CW. Their EVO new ipc routes all cpt traffic via JHB for that extra juicy 50ms.

Mr Scratch

Expert Member
Apparently this should be resolved within the next week

It's likely that they don't have a POP in CPT... I'm also curious about DBN people. As routing to services within DBN would need to be routed to JHB and back.

PBCool

Cool Ideas
Company Rep
It's likely that they don't have a POP in CPT... I'm also curious about DBN people. As routing to services within DBN would need to be routed to JHB and back.
You can have peering locally but international via JHB for instance.

Mr Scratch

Expert Member
You can have peering locally but international via JHB for instance.

That's what most ISPs do, right? Looks like EvoNet doesn't, and routes everything (even locally peered traffic) to their only POP in JHB first.

PBCool

Cool Ideas
Company Rep
That's what most ISPs do, right? Looks like EvoNet doesn't, and routes everything (even locally peered traffic) to their only POP in JHB first.
Well it's a bit more complicated with IPC, as you get charged a fair amount for an IPC interface. So often an ISP would rather get one in JHB instead of multiple regions with additional pops longhaul etc etc

Mr Scratch

Expert Member
Well it's a bit more complicated with IPC, as you get charged a fair amount for an IPC interface. So often an ISP would rather get one in JHB instead of multiple regions with additional pops longhaul etc etc

Maybe a smaller, less established ISP... but for a company that has been around for several years with a large existing client base is just LOL :crylaugh:

That's why I love CISP <3