Latest version of CCleaner pulled due to privacy concerns

Newsfeed

MyBroadband Newsfeed
Latest version of CCleaner pulled due to privacy concerns

CCleaner developer Piriform, which is owned by Avast, has taken down the latest version of its cleaning tool due to privacy concerns expressed by users.

Piriform announced it pulled the latest version of CCleaner (v5.45) on the company’s forums, promising to be more clear regarding the data collected by its software in the future.

access

Executive Member
after all this time, i would think the os has this type of thing built in. i dont meant "reset this pc" or "disk cleanup"

access

Executive Member
AVG TuneUp even better.
you swear by this, yet i have only ran into issues with this app and with various people/systems. instant performance increase when removing it.

https://www.bleachbit.org/
Seems to be open source, have you tried that one?

Basically besides the normal "cleaner" it's got addon capability so you can target specific apps that you have, listed under features: https://www.bleachbit.org/features
revo uninstaller also does that

Bryn

Doubleplusgood
you swear by this, yet i have only ran into issues with this app and with various people/systems. instant performance increase when removing it.

revo uninstaller also does that
How is that possible when AVG TuneUp doesn't even run in the background? It goes without saying that you should disable the live optimisation crap and the notifications.

access

Executive Member
How is that possible when AVG TuneUp doesn't even run in the background? It goes without saying that you should disable the live optimisation crap and the notifications.

hmm thinking about it, i might be confusing this with avg web tuneup, is it the same thing or a newer version or what

Bryn

Doubleplusgood
hmm thinking about it, i might be confusing this with avg web tuneup, is it the same thing or a newer version or what
AVG TuneUp is a standalone desktop application. I've been using it for years, and before then it existed as TuneUp Utilities, which I also used for years. Thanks to many Humble Bundles over the years I have paid licenses just about all the main mechanic applications, and none come within a country mile of AVG TuneUp.

Bryn

Doubleplusgood
That is the definition of spamware I will use norton before I use avg
How is it spam? Is it objectectively better at removing junk files than anything else out there, and I'm pretty sure I've used all the mainstream stuff.

Johnatan56

Honorary Master
indeed, you can use the premium version for free for a month. very good uninstaller.

just need an app that can completely remove revo to renew the trial.
Yeah, I did at one point use the app, was especially useful for when you install 3rd party apps you are sure are going to install bloatware so you can remove it all afterwards (there is a profiling option during install to detect all changes/additions).

Haven't actually used it in quite a few years, last was for a friend who had Lenovo bloatware. Personally, I just reinstall Windows, it's faster (except for the 3rd party games now...).