Launch date for Smart ID online application system announced

MickZA

Executive Member
While the portal will allow citizens to submit most documentation online, a visit to a Home Affairs office is needed to submit required photos and fingerprints.
What happened to the banks acting as agents story and thus avoiding a visit to Home Affairs hell?

The department promised it is also making long queues at its offices a thing of the past.
... IBIWISI

Shellyb1

Expert Member
What happened to the banks acting as agents story and thus avoiding a visit to Home Affairs hell?
The banks are still going to offer the service. My SO was asked when she went to open her private banking account if she wants to do her ID Card at the same time.

DHA is moving forward and one of the government department's that should be given praise for the steps it has taken. It's really moving to improve their service delivery to the next level.

Well done to them.

Antybubbs

The banks are still going to offer the service. My SO was asked when she went to open her private banking account if she wants to do her ID Card at the same time.

DHA is moving forward and one of the government department's that should be given praise for the steps it has taken. It's really moving to improve their service delivery to the next level.

Well done to them.
:sick:

deweyzeph

Executive Member

Well done to them.
You've obviously haven't been to Home Affairs recently then.

Defib

Expert Member
Why are people so anti this new ID other than R140 needed to get it? I think its super

Billy

Expert Member

... IBIWISI

Been operational at ABSA Centurion Lifestyle for over 5 weeks.

Hamster

Resident Rodent
The only reason I haven't applied yet is because I do not want issues come election time. After that, new ID + new Passport since mine is on holiday somewhere.

Tander

Executive Member
I'll be getting a new Smart ID soon enough. Beats carrying around the old fashioned ID Book. :)
Well done to DHA for taking steps forward rather than backwards.

Defib

Expert Member
I cant wait for the online application to go live, im a bit apprehensive RE home affairs queues etc. Little lazy

akescpt

Honorary Master
gonna go have to go stand in that effing line in the next 2 days. need a temp for registering this weekend.

Billy

Expert Member
I'll be getting a new Smart ID soon enough. Beats carrying around the old fashioned ID Book. :)
Well done to DHA for taking steps forward rather than backwards.
"In 1995, Home Affairs, after an extended feasibility study and business plan, decided to go ahead with a project named Hanis, or the Home Affairs National Identification System. Cabinet approved the project in 1996, and by the end of that year, the first tender was published. It would form a core pillar of the new government’s commitment to service delivery. Almost everything else, from pensions and social grants to housing, health and education, would in future depend on it."

Not exactly speedy?

Full article here:http://www.brainstormmag.co.za/inde...ho-was-i-the-long-and-winding-road-to-nowhere

Hamster

Resident Rodent
"In 1995, Home Affairs, after an extended feasibility study and business plan, decided to go ahead with a project named Hanis, or the Home Affairs National Identification System. Cabinet approved the project in 1996, and by the end of that year, the first tender was published. It would form a core pillar of the new government’s commitment to service delivery. Almost everything else, from pensions and social grants to housing, health and education, would in future depend on it."

Not exactly speedy?

Full article here:http://www.brainstormmag.co.za/inde...ho-was-i-the-long-and-winding-road-to-nowhere
HANIS is being replaced by this. The way it was implemented together with FTP file drops etc. is a train wreck.

Shellyb1

Expert Member
You've obviously haven't been to Home Affairs recently then.
No, fortunately not. It's through initiatives like this that will make trips like that unnecessary or when you need to go, faster.

Do you not think this is Innovative? Or closer to first world?

Not perfect yet but steps in the right direction.

VooDooC

Expert Member
Apparently you'll still need to go to Home Affairs for the photo and finger prints.

konfab

Honorary Master
Will this replace the need to fill in a mountain of redundant paperwork for every government service?

Blue Shirt

Apparently you'll still need to go to Home Affairs for the photo and finger prints.
No you don't have to. My wife got her new smartID last week at ABSA Lifestyle Centre, photos and prints are done electronically in the branch. It took less than a week for the new ID to be back at the branch ready for collection.