Learning guitar on electric?

RVR

Expert Member
Hey guys

I decided that I want to start using my guitar now, got an electric last year.

But I've been researching and seeing that acoustic would have been better to learn on but unfortunately all i have is this.

Will i still be able to learn quite well on it?

shearder

Yes. Depending on the action etc it should be ok but dont give up. Find a simple song you like and learn it with those chords then move to another song.
Learning chords on their own will kill your soul. LEAVE the metal stuff lol till MUCH later if that's what you like.
That's me 31 years later and having played professionally in the US.
MOST IMPORTANTLY...... HAVE FUN

RedViking

Nord of the South
Hey guys

I decided that I want to start using my guitar now, got an electric last year.

But I've been researching and seeing that acoustic would have been better to learn on but unfortunately all i have is this.

Will i still be able to learn quite well on it?
Yes it is fine. If you are worried about your fingers, rather consider knitting.

On a serious note, the basics will be the same when you start to learn scales and chords.

Inn3rs3lf

Expert Member
What inspired you to play? Use that. Was it some acoustic dude? Learn that. Was it riffs from Parkway Drive/Hendrix whatever, then learn on the electric. Learn on what inspired you.

Have your guitar set up! Take it to Music Connection or the like, and have the tech to a once over. It will save you a lot of time and effort and make things a ton easier. It's worth the cost.

Your fingers will get worn in, in a few weeks and you won't even feel it.

Learn what you love and inspires you. There are a plethora of awesome additions to studying now on the net with fretboard tutorials (scales and the like on the actual fretboard mapped out) that makes it a ton easier than when I started. I wish I had what is out there now. I thought the cool stock photo of the fretboard with scales highlighted in different colours was amazing. lol.

Youtube has amazing tutorials out there free of charge from world-renown musicians. Soak it up, but make sure you do structured learning. Don't jump around from a simple pentatonic minor scale to some crazy Hendrix lick and then fuss over the lick more than the scale. Patience is key and will save you a few years of learning if you have the base down.

Sensorei

Expert Member
If your goal is to play electric guitar well, then play electric. I learned to play on an electric because I wanted to shred like Kirk Hammett. Just make the effort to learn all your main chords first or you won't have a proper understanding of how scales work. But at the same time learn the tab from your favourite riffs.

20 odd years and 6 guitars later I have still never owned an acoustic. If i want clean acoustic sound I use my guitar with piezo pickups.

I was given a classical guitar after playing electric for about 6 years and it's not hard to switch once you're used to playing.

RVR

Expert Member
Thanks for all the replies!

So I want to eventually do some cool riffs and licks (blues) especially since I love that.

But I know it's hard... So I guess I want to first get the basics down like chords and strumming and learn some songs etc before moving to advanced stuff like blues..

But I just wish I gotten an acoustic first. Either way. Guess just got to learn as much on it.

I don't mind the fingers been sore

Looney

Expert Member
If your goal is to play electric guitar well, then play electric. I learned to play on an electric because I wanted to shred like Kirk Hammett. Just make the effort to learn all your main chords first or you won't have a proper understanding of how scales work. But at the same time learn the tab from your favourite riffs.

20 odd years and 6 guitars later I have still never owned an acoustic. If i want clean acoustic sound I use my guitar with piezo pickups.

I was given a classical guitar after playing electric for about 6 years and it's not hard to switch once you're used to playing.
Lol, I find it funny actually. Hammet and Hetfield were also my inspiration to play guitar after hearing Nothing Else Matters for the first time in my teens. Now I look back and think, fsck, Hammet is a really sh#tty guitarist ;)