Lens Comparison ( No brand bashing Please )

Mila

Honorary Master
Joined
Nov 11, 2008
Messages
54,945
Reaction score
9,466
Location
My own Planet
I have my eye on a 24-70 lens... :o

The Nikon lens price is more than double the Sigma.

Now with out going into a brand bashing, does someone know the technical aspects why the Nikon is seen as the better lens?


I hired the Nikon lens a month ago to do a wedding shoot (ODP) and love the lens. I just need someone to explain the science behind this. I have been told it is the angle the glass is cut at.

So before I start putting my savings into this I would like some advice please.



Tx
Mila
 
Which sigma 24-70 specifically?
 
FWIW I've got the Sigma 24-70mm f/2.8 HSM model but in a canon mount. Nice sharp lens, very sharp in fact, but the build quality leaves a little to be desired. I've since augmented my lens collection with a Canon 24-105mm f/4 while the Sigma gets repaired... again.
 
Which sigma 24-70 specifically?

FWIW I've got the Sigma 24-70mm f/2.8 HSM model but in a canon mount. Nice sharp lens, very sharp in fact, but the build quality leaves a little to be desired. I've since augmented my lens collection with a Canon 24-105mm f/4 while the Sigma gets repaired... again.


Hi! Thank you. I didn't know there was more than one sigma in that spec :o thought is is just the mount that differs.
I like the f2.8 on this lens. But seems like yours are giving you hassles. I then will hold on a bit longer and rather buy the Nikon lens.

I saw the comparison video by that Nikon guy on YouTube. What tickles me is the science/technology that makes one lens better than the other. I guess I should just blame it on magic :D and stop asking so many whys.

I found it a rather heavy lens but still not as heavy as the 70 200 that we do have( Nikon ) .
 
I am an avid Nikon fan but could just have easily been a Canon fan. I started out on Nikon and stayed there because it is just too dam expensive to change. I had to do this when upgrading from DX to FX and it was an expensive lesson. But to me the most important element in the hardware side of photography is the quality of the "Glass". Lenses will last you many, many years and far outlive the camera bodies technology wise. A good FX lens will work on a DX camera body, but not vice versa without cropping occurring.
Save till you have the lens that meets your dreams and expectations and don't cut corners Rand wise.
BTW. All my gear is Nikon and I love it.
The Nikon AFS 24 - 70mm 1:2.8G ED is one hell of a lens with a bonus of being Nano Coated. It's heavy and very well made. That is definitely my choice.:)
 
Last edited:
I am an avid Nikon fan but could just have easily been a Canon fan. I started out on Nikon and stayed there because it is just too dam expensive to change. I had to do this when upgrading from DX to FX and it was an expensive lesson. But to me the most important element in the hardware side of photography is the quality of the "Glass". Lenses will last you many, many years and far outlive the camera bodies technology wise. A good FX lens will work on a DX camera body, but not vice versa without cropping occurring.
Save till you have the lens that meets your dreams and expectations and don't cut corners Rand wise.
BTW. All my gear is Nikon and I love it.
The Nikon AFS 24 - 70mm 1:2.8G ED is one hell of a lens with a bonus of being Nano Coated. It's heavy and very well made. That is definitely my choice.:)

I wish - it certainly used to be the case but these days lenses are far more complex than they used to be and seem to be just as prone to failure as bodies.

My 70-200 has to go in for repairs (again) because the IS has decided not to work. Sure, I rarely use IS in my line of work, but when you spend R26k on a lens you want it to work. The only problem is that I live outside of a CameraTek area and even though they give me a loaner I'm going to have to find a way to be without it for the best part of a week. :o
 
I am an avid Nikon fan but could just have easily been a Canon fan. I started out on Nikon and stayed there because it is just too dam expensive to change. I had to do this when upgrading from DX to FX and it was an expensive lesson. But to me the most important element in the hardware side of photography is the quality of the "Glass". Lenses will last you many, many years and far outlive the camera bodies technology wise. A good FX lens will work on a DX camera body, but not vice versa without cropping occurring.
Save till you have the lens that meets your dreams and expectations and don't cut corners Rand wise.
BTW. All my gear is Nikon and I love it.
The Nikon AFS 24 - 70mm 1:2.8G ED is one hell of a lens with a bonus of being Nano Coated. It's heavy and very well made. That is definitely my choice.:)
:) thanx :)

Bwana, are we allowed to see your work? What I mean is does people here know who you are in your profession?
 
:) thanx :)

Bwana, are we allowed to see your work? What I mean is does people here know who you are in your profession?

Not entirely sure what you mean. I'm sure there are a few forum members that have come across my photos flipping through the sports pages or on various websites but since I'm rarely credited personally, as opposed to the agencies I freelance for, that number is probably pretty low. :o

I did come across one of my pics in an unusual place the other day though. :)

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1383985144.898953.jpg
 
I have the Tamron 24 - 70mm f2.8 VC and it just as good as the Nikon 24 - 70mm f2.8, if not better, takes great clear shot and the stabilizer helps a great deal, at less than half the price of the Nikon, it's a steal!!! Brilliant lens indeed!!!!
 
Not entirely sure what you mean. I'm sure there are a few forum members that have come across my photos flipping through the sports pages or on various websites but since I'm rarely credited personally, as opposed to the agencies I freelance for, that number is probably pretty low. :o

I did come across one of my pics in an unusual place the other day though. :)

View attachment 81451

:D

I want to stalk you :twisted:

I like looking at all kinds of photographer's work. Just asked if you have a site that I can drool over :D

I lovvveee photography. There is a few people I would love to stalk. :D
I understand why photographers don't like people tagging along on shoots but it would be awesome to learn hands on from some of them.

One of my current favorites
http://www.cmphotography.com
 
Last edited:
I have the Tamron 24 - 70mm f2.8 VC and it just as good as the Nikon 24 - 70mm f2.8, if not better, takes great clear shot and the stabilizer helps a great deal, at less than half the price of the Nikon, it's a steal!!! Brilliant lens indeed!!!!
Thank you will read more about the lens :)
 
I have used lots of Canon, Nikon and other third party lenses. Some of the third party lenses like Sigma and Tamron are very good. Just dont drop or bang a lens because they will not last.
 
:D

I want to stalk you :twisted:
No you don't - I'm a sports/events photographer - we're not stalk worthy. :p

I like looking at all kinds of photographer's work. Just asked if you have a site that I can drool over :D
Nope, which is odd. I'll look into that.
 
+1 on Tamron 24-70 2.8

I shoot with canon, and the quality between the canon 24-70 and tamron 24-70 doesnt justify the price difference(Canon is about 3 times price of Tamron)

Tamron VC and their 3 year warranty are also added bonuses.
 
+1 on Tamron 24-70 2.8

I shoot with canon, and the quality between the canon 24-70 and tamron 24-70 doesnt justify the price difference(Canon is about 3 times price of Tamron)

Tamron VC and their 3 year warranty are also added bonuses.

Thanx, went into ODP, talked about lenses, told the nikon sales guy about my wish list and the purist's thoughts about glass. He got kinda upset. He went ahead and showed me a photo shoot they did a week ago with the tamron.

His thoughts, don't buy the sigma they are not as good but the tamron is comparable.


Thank you guys :) :) :)
 
Top
Sign up to the MyBroadband newsletter
X