Level-7 as Fibre ISP

LandyMan

Honorary Master
Hi all,

So I am considering moving from the worst ISP ever (Supersonic) over to Level-7.
Now, I have been fortunate enough to be able to manage my own Mikrotik routerboard on the SS network, so I can set up queues for bandwidth management, etc ... otherwise the teenager just chows all available bandwidth.

Now Level-7 support says they can't give me access to the router, now I need to know, on the 100/100 fibre link, do you, as a Level-7 user, find that the router will manage fair bandwidth to all devices, or does it become an issue that one device grabs all available bandwidth and the other devices are starving?

Thanks

VettieOriginal

Hello Landy- Man

Who is your FNO?

So i have never been keen on an ISP blocking my router due to the fact i use VPN's ect on my router.

at 100mb you should be fine with out any interference from the teenager do

CrypticZA

Expert Member
Hi all,

So I am considering moving from the worst ISP ever (Supersonic) over to Level-7.
Now, I have been fortunate enough to be able to manage my own Mikrotik routerboard on the SS network, so I can set up queues for bandwidth management, etc ... otherwise the teenager just chows all available bandwidth.

Now Level-7 support says they can't give me access to the router, now I need to know, on the 100/100 fibre link, do you, as a Level-7 user, find that the router will manage fair bandwidth to all devices, or does it become an issue that one device grabs all available bandwidth and the other devices are starving?

Thanks
I am not with Level 7 but often when they restrict you from accessing a router you can either sign a form that says should anything break you understand they cannot help you etc or you can use your own router. The other alternative is you can request them to set up a QoS for example. There is a level 7 rep here on the forums have you spoken to them? Maybe they can give you some insights?

LandyMan

Honorary Master
Hello Landy- Man

Who is your FNO?

So i have never been keen on an ISP blocking my router due to the fact i use VPN's ect on my router.

at 100mb you should be fine with out any interference from the teenager do
FNO I assume is Supersonic? Not sure what FNO is?

At any bandwidth the line can be killed with a single download

LandyMan

Honorary Master
I am not with Level 7 but often when they restrict you from accessing a router you can either sign a form that says should anything break you understand they cannot help you etc or you can use your own router. The other alternative is you can request them to set up a QoS for example. There is a level 7 rep here on the forums have you spoken to them? Maybe they can give you some insights?
Not spoken to the rep yet ... wanted to see what the feedback is from people currently using Level-7, and if the routers are smart enough to manage bandwidth distribution

cobusv

i think he meant is who is your Fibre provider, as in Openserve, Vuma, Frogfoot

VettieOriginal

Yes FNO is fibre provider, normally that will be on the ONT.

Yes a single download could do that but it is very unlikely if you have a new router installed i have 2 little bandwith eaters in my house and a 4k tv running and i am fine thus my question.

I have used a few routers from small TP links and Tenda range and they all managed well.

VettieOriginal

The FNO is Supersonic, as initially stated
Supersonic is a ISP not a FNO

The main FNO are
Frogfoot
Metro Fibre
Octotel
Vuma
Openserve
Blitz Fibre ect

So you should be on one of them, then you appointed SuperSonic as your ISP.

VettieOriginal

FNO and ISP is Supersonic
O okay thanks i did not even know they build routes, learn something new every day

Level 7 fibre ISP i have not seen any complaints on here to be honest.

Think it will depend on what you want, i know the leaders in latency is Cool Idea and Afrihost, they have good latency all round.

Then one should check support hours a lot of ISP's close at 22:00 and then you will only get support from the next morning.

I will suggest ask them if they could create a test account and do some test

LandyMan

Honorary Master
O okay thanks i did not even know they build routes, learn something new every day

Level 7 fibre ISP i have not seen any complaints on here to be honest.

Think it will depend on what you want, i know the leaders in latency is Cool Idea and Afrihost, they have good latency all round.

Then one should check support hours a lot of ISP's close at 22:00 and then you will only get support from the next morning.

I will suggest ask them if they could create a test account and do some test
MTN bought Smart Village, the mess that was deployed to a number of estates, and renamed it Supersonic

VettieOriginal

MTN bought Smart Village, the mess that was deployed to a number of estates, and renamed it Supersonic
Okay that makes sense lol

Are they at least the open to other ISP's?

And what are your options with cost?

Maybe suggest a few ISP's and i am sure the guys will give you there feedback

LandyMan

Honorary Master
Okay that makes sense lol

Are they at least the open to other ISP's?

And what are your options with cost?

Maybe suggest a few ISP's and i am sure the guys will give you there feedback
Part of the original purchase agreement was that they will open for other ISPs. This only happened late last year.
We have 7 options, all similarly priced, but top of the list is CI and Level-7.

My father's firm has been using Level-7 for years with no issues, so because of that, and feedback on myBB I will try them

AfriNatic

Afrihost Rep
Staff member
Supersonic is a ISP not a FNO

The main FNO are
Frogfoot
Metro Fibre
Octotel
Vuma
Openserve
Blitz Fibre ect

So you should be on one of them, then you appointed SuperSonic as your ISP.
Supersonic is just a re brand of MTN fibre so they have their own coverage you can see that coverage on the mtn.co.za website on the coverage map just select Fibre. They rebranded to Supersonic because they are an ISP also.

VettieOriginal

Part of the original purchase agreement was that they will open for other ISPs. This only happened late last year.
We have 7 options, all similarly priced, but top of the list is CI and Level-7.

My father's firm has been using Level-7 for years with no issues, so because of that, and feedback on myBB I will try them
Then level 7 you have an install already so it will be month to month the risk will be low and if you move could just be a connection fee that they charge if any so yea i would do the same.

Open FNo is better do so you have the power to change and pushes service standard and pricing

LandyMan

Honorary Master
Then level 7 you have an install already so it will be month to month the risk will be low and if you move could just be a connection fee that they charge if any so yea i would do the same.

Open FNo is better do so you have the power to change and pushes service standard and pricing
Correct, they also confirmed I can use my original Mikrotik router, meaning I will keep access and be able to configure my Queues etc as I had it