LG is shutting down it smartphone division

gottagoon

Executive Member
That's sad. I know people that had LG phones that were happy with them.

ronald911

Expert Member
Wonder why they didn't sell it to an Indian company.

or Chinese.

I wonder how this will impact LG's (LG Uplus) carrier at all in South Korea . They used to have great subsidised deals on LG phones. I think majority LG phones in the local market were provided by their own carrier.

Polymathic

Honorary Master
or Chinese.

I wonder how this will impact LG's (LG Uplus) carrier at all in South Korea . They used to have great subsidised deals on LG phones. I think majority LG phones in the local market were provided by their own carrier.
This maybe the reason why they can't sell the division

system32

Expert Member
or Chinese.

or US company.

If US wanted to get ahead in 5G and combat the Huawei then this would be a good starting acquisition.

ronald911

Expert Member
or US company.

If US wanted to get ahead in 5G and combat the Huawei then this would be a good starting acquisition.

Apple is dominating the US market though and the latest iPhone do have 5G.
But yeah, interesting times.

system32

Expert Member
Apple is dominating the US market though and the latest iPhone do have 5G.
But yeah, interesting times.
Apple had a bit help from US courts (vs Samsung) and help from Turmp (Huawei/ZTE/Xiaomi).
It would have a much smaller market share if it wasn't for all the help.

Anyway it would be good to have more that 1 US company.

Sapphiron

Centadel
Company Rep
I had 2 LG smartphones phones

a G3 and a V20.

Excellent hardware, decent software. Hardware wise, the battery was the weak point (as with nearly all phones in those years). Where they really failed was in OS updates. Both phones only received 1 update 6 month after purchase.

Contrast that with the Xiaomi phones we have been using recently, they are receiving quarterly updates for 3 years now.

The lesson LG failed to learn was to support their products.

wernervn

I had 2 LG smartphones phones

a G3 and a V20.

Excellent hardware, decent software. Hardware wise, the battery was the weak point (as with nearly all phones in those years). Where they really failed was in OS updates. Both phones only received 1 update 6 month after purchase.

Contrast that with the Xiaomi phones we have been using recently, they are receiving quarterly updates for 3 years now.

The lesson LG failed to learn was to support their products.
I had the G4, very happy with the phone but the lack of software updates was disappointing. Though I never personally experienced the G4 boot loop issue, the company's pathetic response meant that it was also my last LG phone.

Johnatan56

Honorary Master
That's sad. I know people that had LG phones that were happy with them.
Besides the G3, G4, their S counterparts, and the V20, their phones were kind of a failure.
The G3/4 had bootloop issues that quite a few people encountered.

Then with G5 they had a generally good phone, but they made an SE version that gimped the RAM so that the phone lagged, so people outside of US didn't like the performance of the device. Then the entire ecosystem around modular never showed up. That said, it was a good phone, just pricey at launch.

And that basically sums up LG, they completely overprice their phones out of the market/into a segment the device does not compete with, then a few months later offer it on extreme specials and wonder why the profit margins aren't that high. They also constantly make different versions for each market, e.g. South African side in budget phones they took out the NFC chip and fingerprint sensor that every other market had, but there was no way of knowing that unless you bought the phone and in-store if comparing with e.g. Samsung at the same time, those were usually a little cheaper with better hardware specs (only the skin was bad).

Then the entire fiasco with dropping G5 and V20 software support before 2 year promise was over, they did backtrack on it after huge backlash, but that basically ended any chance they had with techies, who are usually the people friends go to to get phone recommendations. Then their tendency to keep announcing phones months in advance without a price, by the time it came out everyone forgot about it and the industry moved forward. I remember waiting for the LG 7 One, got announced in May 2018 (ignore GSM Arena, they're saying when announced for region with price), released October 2018 at 350 EUR while e.g. the G7 is 300 EUR with way better specs, so you get to pay 50 EUR premium for Android One including an older gen SoC (835 vs 845), less RAM (4 vs 6GB, but 4GB if you get 32GB model for both), worse camera, no ultra wide and both had small 3000mAh batteries.

LG mobile just kept shooting itself in the foot with every move they made, it seemed like after the G4 they went with whatever the worst idea that was mentioned in the boardroom.

In regards to selling the business rumors, that was never going to happen as can't sell LG as a brand, and can't sell the primary advantage they had which was display production, so the fact that LG just shut it down was the expected result.

FiestaST

Honorary Master
In memoriam: LG's great smartphone inventions

Today we got the bad news that LG will exit the mobile business, so we wanted to look back at all the innovations that the company brought over the years as a thank you for all its hard work.

LG didn’t always get the recognition it deserved. For example, the LG KE850 Prada was announced in December of 2006 – it was the first phone with a capacitive touchscreen and an all-touch UI. Of course, in January Apple unveiled its first iPhone, which stole the spotlight from the Prada. Today everyone points to the iPhone as the start of the touchscreen revolution, while LG’s contribution lays largely forgotten.

In mid-2007 the company unveiled the LG KU990 Viewty, the very first smartphone to record slow-motion video. It could capture 320p clips at 120fps, which makes for a 4x slowdown (below you can see a clip we shot over a decade ago). LG’s innovations often focused on the camera. It introduced the first phone that could record FullHD video, aka 1080p – that was the LG Optimus 2X from 2011.