Lightning strike kills 14 at Uganda refugee camp

Currantly

Expert Member
Joined
Dec 24, 2014
Messages
2,773
Reaction score
2,483
KAMPALA - At least 14 people, including several children, were killed in a Ugandan refugee camp when lightning hit a makeshift church, officials said.

Around 50 people were praying in the church in Palabek refugee camp in northern Uganda on Saturday evening when a heavy storm hit the area, police said.

Fourteen people died when lightning hit its metal roof, including five girls and nine boys aged between 14 and 18, William Komech, resident district commissioner for Lamwo region, told AFP.

Linky
 
For some reason I always assumed a building itself would protect against lightning - apparently not, you need a 'lightning protection system'.
 
My brother survived a lighting strike on his rondawel. His bed and guitar was turned to ash. He left a couple seconds before the strike.

I was under a tree when it was hit.

En-light-ning experience to put it mildly.
 
When I lived in JHB I lived in a lightning prone area.
The house got hit often, and the previous owner didn't disclose that to me.
So generally every summer anything in that house with electronics got destroyed. The ADSL line was often totally shattered requiring frequent visits from Telskam to repair the copper pair where it was burnt through.

I sold it because the cost to get lightning protection systems installed was not worth it.
 
When I lived in JHB I lived in a lightning prone area.
The house got hit often, and the previous owner didn't disclose that to me.
So generally every summer anything in that house with electronics got destroyed. The ADSL line was often totally shattered requiring frequent visits from Telskam to repair the copper pair where it was burnt through.

I sold it because the cost to get lightning protection systems installed was not worth it.

I'm glad you sold the ADSL modem... good choice
 
I didn't sell it... it was destroyed, in the end while waiting for the sale to go through we used LTE. I gave up on buying new routers for those times when the thing got shattered even without being plugged in

wait please explain how a router got struck by lightning when it wasn't even plugged in? hmmmmm
 
this is an act of war! ... only question is why the hell is that notorious village in KZN attacking refugees in Uganda?!?


We've been at war with nature for a long time. Remember that racist mountain that killed Samora Machel?
 
Top
Sign up to the MyBroadband newsletter
X