Linux Gaming _ Wine 1.1.0 and COD 4

snugam

How to install Wine 1.1.0 with the 3D Mark patch to play Call of Duty 4 (COD4):

Download the Wine 1.1.0 Source code .

(1.1.1 is the latest and by the time you read this there might be even newer version already, but this guide is for 1.1.0);
Please note the instructions at the end of this post on what you need before you can compile from source;

Extract the downloaded archive -
Code:
tar xvf wine-1.1.0.tar.bz2

Download the Wine 1.1.0 - 3DMark Patch for Wine 1.1.0

Gunzip the 3dMark Patch (if you don't have gunzip; sudo apt-get install gunzip)
(you need to be registered to that forum to download the file)

Code:
gunzip wine-1.1.0-3dmark.patch.gz

Notice, that the .gz file disappeared and is now replaced with wine-1.1.0-3dmark.patch; now move the wine-1.1.0-3dmark.patch file into the folder whereto wine was extracted

Code:
mv wine-1.1.0-3dmark.patch wine-1.1.0

To confirm whether its in the same folder, also look for a capitalised README - it should be in that same folder;

(If you dont have the patch program then type sudo apt-get install patch )

Code:
patch -p1 < wine-1.1.0-3dmark.patch

What you need to compile from source
Before you can compile the source; you need to go to the Wine recommended packages website and run the script related to your O/S. This script installs all the packages that you'll need to compile from source.

Click here to download the script for Hardy Heron (Kubuntu or Ubuntu 8.04)

if you're using Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron-
Code:
sudo chmod +r hardy.sh
sudo ./hardy.sh

Some download happens here, so wait for it to complete

Code:
cd wine-1.1.0/tools
./wineinstall

Later during the installation you'll be asked for your super user password; if you've tried to run the installation as root; you'll get an error message.

Once the installation is complete; To run wine's "explorer" type this at the prompt -
Code:
winefile

External references:
Ubuntu Forums
Wine HQ

Thank you to all the Wine guys for such an excellent application :D

Last edited:

stfury

In my opinion theres no real point, because punkbuster is not supported in linux, therefore you can never play online on any proper server

snugam

In my opinion theres no real point, because punkbuster is not supported in linux, therefore you can never play online on any proper server

Yeah, that is true; not sure if they'll get Punkbuster to work; but there are other Linux users in the same boat, so I am sure you'd find a non-punkbuster server out there that is respectable - who knows.

The fastest one I could get was 200 ping; was actually wondering if someone has considered running a server in SA without punkbuster, but hackers will be there. This thread however is not about punkbuster but about getting COD 4 working.

:D

snugam

Guide updated to make the steps to follow for installing Wine 1.1.0 with the 3dMark Patch