Living in Kuwait

Slaught3r

Expert Member
Looking for some expats/guys who know something about living in Kuwait.

I am considering an offer from a bank in Kuwait, but I want to make sure I do all my homework. I basically have until Thursday to decide whether I want to follow through with the offer or not.

So my questions:
- How expensive is Kuwait really? I have done some research and it seems like the groceries cost more or less the same as local (except for meat).
- Furnished apartments... Yes or no? I see there is a massive difference between renting a furnished place vs not furnished. So I guess it comes down to how much it costs to furnish it yourself.
- I would be working in KC, Kuwait - where should I look at living? Which areas do I avoid?

Anyone with some input here? I would love to pick your brain...

prOd

Expert Member
I've just come back from Egypt , and they treat non muslims better than non muslims.

giphy.gif

ToxicBunny

Oi! Leave me out of this...
From what I know from a few people that live in Kuwait currently, the life is pretty decent... obviously a bit limited in terms of "entertainment" if you are a drinker and such of course.

Money is good, safety is good.
If you intend on doing it for a period to make good money and put it on the CV I would say "Why the hell not" and do it. If its something you would do as a permanent move, then you have to consider the lifestyle changes that come with it a bit more carefully of course.

JuliusSeizure

(Western) female friends of friends have reported feeling very safe in middle east countries though, so it's not entirely without merit. i.e. woman walking alone at night type stuff. Don't recall which country tho

True, what people don't realize is that whilst life for locals in these countries can be extreme, they try not to interfere with expats because they know it will give them bad PR. They don't want drama as much as you don't want it.

As long as you don't do anything stupid or impose yourself, you should be fine. You can even drink, club etc though you can't obviously do anything stupid or make it clearly visible because they try to hide these things from locals.

eg2505

Honorary Master
again, I'm sure its fine for the 2 years contract,
live in a Westerner compound, along with other Westerners. pretend you live in the UK/US quite easily.
until you leave the compound for whatever reason, then you see how the locals live,

then you make up your mind quite quickly.

ToxicBunny

Oi! Leave me out of this...
again, I'm sure its fine for the 2 years contract,
live in a Westerner compound, along with other Westerners. pretend you live in the UK/US quite easily.
until you leave the compound for whatever reason, then you see how the locals live,

then you make up your mind quite quickly.

Have you ever actually lived in a country like Kuwait or Dubai?

GhostSixFour

Mafia Addict
whether you care is irrelevant, if you want to discuss shariah law, you have to use Islamic definitions of the words

@rietrot is using the standard definition of usury. If you want to use a different definition, then please provide it. I'm not going to go look for it, in case ISIS tries to recruit me again.

LOL @ published by banks

@MightyQuin was probably looking at these.

These are all local, I'm sure if they weren't compliant - others with more knowledge than @saturnz would've kicked up a fuss by now. Hell, if they aren't really compliant, please go put in a complaint with the banking ombudsman. And then post it to twitter or something, so the media can pick it up and show us all these fairy tales.

You might want to go and read this as well: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Islamic_banking_and_finance, not even the whole article, just the first bit would be fine.

Islamic banking or Islamic finance (Arabic: مصرفية إسلامية‎) or sharia-compliant finance[1] is banking or financing activity that complies with sharia (Islamic law) and its practical application through the development of Islamic economics. Some of the modes of Islamic banking/finance include Mudarabah (profit-sharing and loss-bearing), Wadiah (safekeeping), Musharaka (joint venture), Murabahah (cost-plus), and Ijara (leasing).

saturnz

Honorary Master
@rietrot is using the standard definition of usury. If you want to use a different definition, then please provide it. I'm not going to go look for it, in case ISIS tries to recruit me again.

as you can see there there are various contexts for the meaning, but if you want to speak about usury in an Islamic context, then you have to use the Islamic definition

These are all local, I'm sure if they weren't compliant - others with more knowledge than @saturnz would've kicked up a fuss by now.

others have written entire books on the issue...