Local cloud service from R5 per GB, advice please

Fireplane

Hey all
Need advice

A friend of mine told me about a cloud service for R5 per GB and if I were to resell it I could make R1 per Gb sold.

Does this seem fair? any concerns or things I should look out for?
Apparently it's not like Dropbox or 1Drive etc, has data redundancy, encryption and Snapshot capable too.

so as I said, anything to be aware of out of the usual?

thanks in advance.
(also posted in Carb)

Johnatan56

Honorary Master
Why would you resell something like that?
And what do you mean it's not like DropBox/OneDrive, etc? They all have data redundancy (DropBox also encrypts, OneDrive Business as well, Google does so across their suite for encryption, redundancy/uptime as well)
Google costs $2/month for 100GB. Why would I use your product?

And reselling: What would stop them from going straight to the source? Do you offer anything? Do you set it up for them?

You'd probably be the one liable if anything goes wrong if you resell.

Last edited:

Fireplane

Thanks Johnatan56.
This seems to be targeted against things like iron tree (attic pro).
with snapshots and disaster recovery, full integration with windows and apps.
I've also seen customers that use drop box and share a virus accros their network.
wouldn't the service be beneficial if it had a realtime snapshot of the synced PC?
I appreciate the info here, trying to validate if this service is worth the effort.

backstreetboy

Honorary Master
Thanks Johnatan56.
I've also seen customers that use drop box and share a virus accros their network.
wouldn't the service be beneficial if it had a realtime snapshot of the synced PC?
I appreciate the info here, trying to validate if this service is worth the effort.
Google Drive etc. also comes with version control for up to 30 days. They charge R29 for 100GB storage (or even cheaper annually at R290) so not sure why I'll go for something much more expensive.

Last edited:

Johnatan56

Honorary Master
Thanks Johnatan56.
If the original files contained malware, any other cloud storage solution wouldn't help either.
You can upload real-time snapshots of the PC to Google Drive as well, just use the app and make it "overwrite" the old back-up in the Google Drive folder, the version control would sort out 30 days of backups.
Use a different tool to do the backup. If anything gets encrypted, use the version control to get the old file back.

I uploaded both versions using the Google Drive app:
One.png
two.png

If the name (and extension) are the same, it automatically versions.

Use a different application to create the back-ups and save them to the folder, you can even use Windows incremental backups as the last modified value would change and it would upload the new version.