Logitech Harmony 300 - Samsung plasma, Sony component system, HD PVR, Mede8er

PostmanPot

Honorary Master
Joined
Jul 16, 2005
Messages
35,015
Reaction score
81
Location
Cape Town
Hi all :)

Just wondering what your thoughts are on this remote?

Don't need anything fancy, just something basic to control a Samsung plasma, Sony component system, HD PVR, and Mede8er.

Many thanks!
 
I've got the Harmony 1000 - and haven't been able to get it working properly with the UEC HD-PVR.... really annoying.

I also don't think Logitech are as active in updating their remote database.

I've tried manually learning commands, but they either don't work, or do everything twice, or take a few seconds to respond.
 
That's not too encouraging. :(

xrapidx, btw, any idea which is the better HD PVR to go for? I've heard there are still a lot of problems with both. Is it more worth my while to wait for a better one to be launched? Thanks for your input.
 
That's not too encouraging. :(

xrapidx, btw, any idea which is the better HD PVR to go for? I've heard there are still a lot of problems with both. Is it more worth my while to wait for a better one to be launched? Thanks for your input.

I would say that the UEC is the one with the most issues (HDMi, IF tuner etc). The 4 tuner Pace is the one to go for... It's a third generation HD decoder, the UEC is first generation.
 
That's not too encouraging. :(

xrapidx, btw, any idea which is the better HD PVR to go for? I've heard there are still a lot of problems with both. Is it more worth my while to wait for a better one to be launched? Thanks for your input.

Out of the two four tuners, I think the UEC is the better of the two (according to what I've read).

Only problem with waiting is you don't know what'll be next, and what issues it'll have.

My UEC has quite a few annoying bugs - but its WAY WAY better than SD - if I knew the difference I would have upgraded ages ago.

I would say that the UEC is the one with the most issues (HDMi, IF tuner etc). The 4 tuner Pace is the one to go for... It's a third generation HD decoder, the UEC is first generation.

Where do you get this from?
 
I would say that the UEC is the one with the most issues (HDMi, IF tuner etc). The 4 tuner Pace is the one to go for... It's a third generation HD decoder, the UEC is first generation.

How much better are the "newer" Pace 4 tuners? I haven't used my Pace 4 tuner for a few months cos its so slow (2008 version though), UEC gets most usage with Pace 2 tuner used for bedroom
 
How much better are the "newer" Pace 4 tuners? I haven't used my Pace 4 tuner for a few months cos its so slow (2008 version though), UEC gets most usage with Pace 2 tuner used for bedroom
\

What new Pace 4 tuner? Maybe I've missed it.

The decoders were released as follows:
1. Pace 4 Tuner
2. UEC 4 Tuner
3. Pace 2 Tuner
 
\

What new Pace 4 tuner? Maybe I've missed it.

The decoders were released as follows:
1. Pace 4 Tuner
2. UEC 4 Tuner
3. Pace 2 Tuner

You haven't missed anything, but the Pace 4 tuners being sold at the moment are reportedly quicker then the original ones from 2008. I assume that's what QT was referring to, even though he's saying 3rd gen so maybe he knows a bit more
 
You haven't missed anything, but the Pace 4 tuners being sold at the moment are reportedly quicker then the original ones from 2008. I assume that's what QT was referring to, even though he's saying 3rd gen so maybe he knows a bit more

I was told was with the Hifi Corp mix up where they advertised the Pace 4 Tuner at R1999 - but were actually selling the Pace 2 Tuner - everybody told me to try and get the UEC over the Pace 4 Tuner if I could convince them RE: wrong pic in advert.
 
Where do you get this from?

From myself... I work with them every day. Ask any installer. Everything you read is written by end users who deal with only their own decoders. The installers are the ones dealing with a new problem everyday, and I can assure you that the Pace doesn't have RF problems anymore. The ever so slightly slower processor is a small pay-off for having a hassle free decoder, with no HDCP, HDMi quality or signal issues.

With 3rd and 1st generation, I meant that this is UEC's first attempt at an HD box. Pace has been making them for a while in other markets
 
Fair enough... although the guys commenting on the DSTV forums are the guys that have gone through all the HD decoders.
 
From myself... I work with them every day. Ask any installer. Everything you read is written by end users who deal with only their own decoders. The installers are the ones dealing with a new problem everyday, and I can assure you that the Pace doesn't have RF problems anymore. The ever so slightly slower processor is a small pay-off for having a hassle free decoder, with no HDCP, HDMi quality or signal issues.

With 3rd and 1st generation, I meant that this is UEC's first attempt at an HD box. Pace has been making them for a while in other markets
ok, some questions here:
What RF issues, the poor quality of the output? So do the newer ones have different hardware or was this somehow improved with software?
HDCP, I have seen very few people getting HDCP errors on UECs compared to Paces, is your experience the opposite?

My vote would still be for the UEC, or Pace 2P if that suits you
 
Top
Sign up to the MyBroadband newsletter
X