Looking for a safe password?

JurassicBark

Is it my imagination, or are organisations not working together to form standards as they did in the past? It seems the world is more divided than ever on some things. Why isn't there a standard for biometric identification via fingerprint, for example? I should be able to log in to any web site with my finger print from different terminals using different hardware... but noooo...

Griz

Expert Member
Is it my imagination, or are organisations not working together to form standards as they did in the past? It seems the world is more divided than ever on some things. Why isn't there a standard for biometric identification via fingerprint, for example? I should be able to log in to any web site with my finger print from different terminals using different hardware... but noooo...

?

Did you read the article

?

Hamster

Resident Rodent
GiganticWalrusEggHatcher

^ is a way better password than IL3vP@i

Easier to remember and will take longer to crack with a brute force attack.

AlphaJohn

Executive Member
password_strength.png

And use a different one for every site, Using above example "Correct horse battery facebook staple" for facebook :D

As for biometric attachment on authentication, its all good till its compromised, passwords you can change, what do you do when somone find a way to mimic your fingerprints or such. Words you can change, body parts you can not.

noxibox

Honorary Master
Encouraging people to use different passwords for every site and change them regularly is exactly what leads to people using easy to guess passwords.

password_strength.png

And use a different one for every site, Using above example "Correct horse battery facebook staple" for facebook :D

As for biometric attachment on authentication, its all good till its compromised, passwords you can change, what do you do when somone find a way to mimic your fingerprints or such. Words you can change, body parts you can not.
And with governments wanting to store more and more information so they can spy on and track their citizens it's guaranteed that biometric information will fall into the hands of private sector organised crime.

House

Banned
Take your best PC's and through a brute force attack at this password:

!JustL@veMyBr@adBand2Much.

If any PC can crack this password within 10 years - good luck!

House

Banned
GiganticWalrusEggHatcher

^ is a way better password than IL3vP@i

Easier to remember and will take longer to crack with a brute force attack.

1 hour and 12 minutes to crack IL3vP@i on brute force. GiganticWalrusEggHatcher is a much better option.

MKFrost

Expert Member
The main thing is to increase the search space. So even if you just add say '....' onto the end or start of your password you increase its effectiveness exponentially.

For example:

Dog123 will take around half a second to break while Dog123.... will take around 19 years

Remember, you know that its only 4 periods... but the attacker does not know that. He has to go through the whole search space i.e. try every possible character on those 4 spaces.

Neo_X

Expert Member
The main thing is to increase the search space. So even if you just add say '....' onto the end or start of your password you increase its effectiveness exponentially.

For example:

Dog123 will take around half a second to break while Dog123.... will take around 19 years

Remember, you know that its only 4 periods... but the attacker does not know that. He has to go through the whole search space i.e. try every possible character on those 4 spaces.

wow....

very true :D