Lost Drivers License - How To Handle

kennedym

Hi guys

My Drivers license got lost and I am not quite sure how to handle this.
I looked at https://www.gov.za/services/driving...O2glXBoIZ69RdrnqY3_VXmPdSxSBhheIaAsBbEALw_wcB

This site gave me indication to go to https://online.natis.gov.za/#/ since I live in Gauteng and to do a booking.
If I look on this site, it doesn't appear clear to me and leaves some room for interpretation, for example, there's no option to handle lost/stolen driver license, only a booking option for Driving License Card Renewal, which to me implies that the holder has a driver license card in hand, whereas stolen or lost would surely fall under some emergency type procedure to get a temporary one and apply for a new card?
The issue is that even if I use the "Book now for Driving License Card Renewal" option, there are no booking slots available, there is at Temba but that is about 120km away. What does this mean if one needs to travel urgently and how do you handle this correctly?

Anyone who knows how this works, please share your knowledge.

Thank you so much

Nirv

I can't give advice on the process to replace it, but the first thing you should do is go to a police station to get an affidavit stating that yours has been lost. This should avoid any fines you may get for driving without it before you're able to replace.

Mrcricket

Expert Member
When I got robbed last year, my licence was one of the things that went. I just got an affidavit and had to spend a whole day at the testing centre in Durban getting a new one.

Hi guys

My Drivers license got lost and I am not quite sure how to handle this.
I looked at https://www.gov.za/services/driving...O2glXBoIZ69RdrnqY3_VXmPdSxSBhheIaAsBbEALw_wcB

This site gave me indication to go to https://online.natis.gov.za/#/ since I live in Gauteng and to do a booking.
If I look on this site, it doesn't appear clear to me and leaves some room for interpretation, for example, there's no option to handle lost/stolen driver license, only a booking option for Driving License Card Renewal, which to me implies that the holder has a driver license card in hand, whereas stolen or lost would surely fall under some emergency type procedure to get a temporary one and apply for a new card?
The issue is that even if I use the "Book now for Driving License Card Renewal" option, there are no booking slots available, there is at Temba but that is about 120km away. What does this mean if one needs to travel urgently and how do you handle this correctly?

Anyone who knows how this works, please share your knowledge.

Thank you so much
As mentioned by others, the first step is to go to the police station and fill out an affidavit indicating you have lost your license.
Second step is to secure an online booking. Having had to do this for myself and a family member over the last two weeks, the trick is to get on the enatis website on a Monday morning from 8am as this is when slots are released. Note the slots are released sporadically on a Monday over the course of the day and not all at once, so if you do a hourly or 30 minute check throughout the day you should find a booking within a reasonable distance. I’m not aware of any emergency booking functionality so you will have to follow the same process as everyone else. Another tip is once you get a booking, ignore the specific time you get a booking for as the center's still follow a first come first serve approach, your booking simply guarantees you a spot for the day. I pitched up at 6:30 to make sure I was first in line.
Hope this helps

Robocop

Non of that. Mine was stolen 5 years ago. And my license expired 3 years ago. Made myself an appointment and renewed it without problems. Had to fill in a form and you indicate what license you had. Thats it.....

Dairyfarmer

Executive Member
Non of that. Mine was stolen 5 years ago. And my license expired 3 years ago. Made myself an appointment and renewed it without problems. Had to fill in a form and you indicate what license you had. Thats it.....
Was in the UK for a good few years and handed in my SA licence for a UK one. When I came back to SA, after about 5 years, I decided to get my SA licence back. I went to the "big city" to find out how to do it. Passport for entry and exit stamps, proof of where you lived, must be done within 12 months,..... I just went to my local centre and said I had misplaced my licence. Did the renewal process and a new card arrived a few weeks later.

kennedym

As mentioned by others, the first step is to go to the police station and fill out an affidavit indicating you have lost your license.
Second step is to secure an online booking. Having had to do this for myself and a family member over the last two weeks, the trick is to get on the enatis website on a Monday morning from 8am as this is when slots are released. Note the slots are released sporadically on a Monday over the course of the day and not all at once, so if you do a hourly or 30 minute check throughout the day you should find a booking within a reasonable distance. I’m not aware of any emergency booking functionality so you will have to follow the same process as everyone else. Another tip is once you get a booking, ignore the specific time you get a booking for as the center's still follow a first come first serve approach, your booking simply guarantees you a spot for the day. I pitched up at 6:30 to make sure I was first in line.
Hope this helps
Thanks, 2 important points for me

1. Getting to the enatis website at 8am on Monday morning, didn't know about that, thanks.

2. Had no idea about the first come first approach thing on the day of booking, I can understand why that can happen but I am not sure what exactly this new system made better, seems complicated.o_O

Thanks for the tips