Lost Phone picked up on Find iPhone. Options?

Jase

Executive Member
Joined
May 31, 2007
Messages
5,751
Reaction score
663
Location
In die Oos Koos
I lost an iPhone a few months ago and I put it into lost mode with a message basically stating a reward is offered and a contact number.

A few weeks ago it pinged on find iPhone and I sent the message out again. After a day or so the phone went offline again. Now I see it's back on. I have the location down to the address of where it is at (It seems to bounce between two houses close to each other)

Questions:
1) Can they use the phone in lost mode (afaik, it cannot be used). It was password locked as well.
2) Do you think the cop shop will help me out if I contact them? (The phone is in a different town).
3) Should I just blacklist the phone and move on?

Any other input will be appreciated.
 
Some cops might help but most won't bother. You'd have more luck if you knew some cops personally, or go private muscle. Some local security companies would help in cases like yours.
 
Someone probably got scammed with your phone. Whoever found it may have just sold it extremely cheap. Maybe try sending the message again for the reward and hopefully they contact you
 
Aye, I've done that. They have now turned the phone off once again. It's quite amazing what tech can do nowdays (and scary too). I have their address as a result of this.

I'll leave it for a while and see if it pops up again.
 
Aye, I've done that. They have now turned the phone off once again. It's quite amazing what tech can do nowdays (and scary too). I have their address as a result of this.

I'll leave it for a while and see if it pops up again.
The other problem is whether the location is accurate...
Like this poor chap in Pretoria who had literally thousands of people knocking on his door looking for their stolen goodies. Turns out the tracking software is anything but fail-proof.

Quite a few media outlets reported on the issue, but this was the first and most comprehensive:

“It’s almost with religious zeal that these people come, thinking their goodies are in my yard,” John told me. “The Apple customers seem to be the worst.”
 
Well it has shown the same location for a while and it moves between two houses basically. Anyways not much I can do.
 
Send a message saying you have their address (and list it) and if they don't take you offer you'll send the cops.
 
My friend's phone got stolen - she didn't know you could track an Android phone through google. Weeks later, she saw someone uploading photos to her google account - looked like the guy that stole it on CCTV. I told her she could track it since it's still signed in on her google account. Tracked the guy, went to fetch cops at the police station, they followed us to where the guy was located at and arrested him on the spot when he couldn't explain why he was in possession of stolen property.
 
The problem is also the 'Find My' (iOS 13 renamed the app) app doesn't indicate altitude, so if it is tracked to a high-density building with several levels, you are out of luck.

Tracked a client's stolen iPad to close proximity of the Kenyan High Commission in Dar-Es-Salaam a few years ago. This was two days after the fact. :rolleyes:

Stolen iPad Location (2).jpg
 
Top
Sign up to the MyBroadband newsletter
X