Lytro Light Field Camera (LFC) review over at dpreview

fvdbergh

Senior Member
Joined
Aug 10, 2006
Messages
703
Reaction score
1
Location
Pretoria
http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/lytro

I found the conclusion quite interesting. For one, using a small sensor gives you more depth of field, thus the ability to refocus the image afterwards is not as dramatic as you might expect.

Still, I think this might become an interesting video camera with a higher resolution (and somewhat larger) sensor. Any thoughts?
 
Read the reviews at The Verge and Ars Technica this morning. It sure is interesting, but a very limited camera.

The fact that you can refocus the photos afterwards is amazing, and unique. But at the end of the day, the images kind of suck, since it's such a small and low-rez sensor.

The idea might mature into something great, but that will take many years.
 
I want to buy shares in this ...

It may not win over photographers, but I think among general public it'd do great. I can't wait to try one!
 
I think it will have a place in DSLR's in the future, for example if you've taken the shot and missed the focus this tech would be great to correct that. but the idea of the camera that they pushing is that you can change the focus completely, why would you want to? for example if you take a photo of some friends and they are in focus why would you change the focus to the trees/mountain/light etc behind them?
 
I think it will have a place in DSLR's in the future, for example if you've taken the shot and missed the focus this tech would be great to correct that. but the idea of the camera that they pushing is that you can change the focus completely, why would you want to? for example if you take a photo of some friends and they are in focus why would you change the focus to the trees/mountain/light etc behind them?

Well, at about 1 Megapixel the Lytro camera is very far from DSLRs. I would like this in a video camera, though, e.g., shooting with a large aperture (and shallow depth of field), but being able to fine-tune focus afterwards.

In its current form, the Lytro camera is more of a fun toy.
 
This is unlikely to ever make it into DSLRs for the simple fact that it doesn't work with lenses mounted in front of the sensor, as the sensor already consists of a gazillion small lenses to begin with.
 
Top
Sign up to the MyBroadband newsletter
X