Massive private power boost announced by Ramaphosa

eg2505

Honorary Master
You think power storage for a single home is a nightmare...wait till you have to factor in an entire complex/street block.

This new levels is just good for retail and other companies that can utilize solar during the day. Us Nighttime users are still "Past tense fornicated".
but but but, if they already build mini power stations for a mall,
why not make it bigger, and supply a new nearby streets? I mean even an additional source of income

I mean I'm looking nearby to me at Eastgate, easy to build it bigger and supply a few streets

AlphaJohn

Executive Member
but but but, if they already build mini power stations for a mall,
why not make it bigger, and supply a new nearby streets? I mean even an additional source of income

I mean I'm looking nearby to me at Eastgate, easy to build it bigger and supply a few streets
Cause the mall can use solar during the day when its open, the house that mostly use power at night need a proxy aka storage ;)

WollieVerstege

coming soon, entire neighborhoods COMPLETELY OFF Eishkoms grid.
so private security, private power, private roads, private sewage and water,

so why do we pay taxes? for what service exactly?
Far as I can tell distribution of power is still not allowed exceptthrough existing Eskom/municipal infrastructure. So you can generate 100MW for you own consumption but you are not allowed to distribute to anyone.
Don't know how the will handle complexes, whether they are seen as 1 or multiple properties

Cius

Executive Member
So is this with immediate effect or are we waiting for something to be signed. Cause if we have to wait as long as did for the digital migration or for spectrum auction this means squat.

krycor

Honorary Master
Gwede will not be a amused. Good.

Pretty much what I came to say.. naysayers be damned.. but the president has overrode him on this aspect.

Now if only he could do the same for numerous other issues.. I do wonder if this is presidential overreach too.

Let me explain.. watching the US and how they handle things, the parliament decides on things and the president sets strategy and agenda. A president forcing through something would be frowned upon..

So while this good.. I do hope this isn’t overreach that will be used as a precedent for other overreach we don’t want.. just my 2c.

Now he needs to go tackle upcoming plans for power etc that’s also stalling..

Mike Hoxbig

Honorary Master
Far as I can tell distribution of power is still not allowed exceptthrough existing Eskom/municipal infrastructure. So you can generate 100MW for you own consumption but you are not allowed to distribute to anyone.
Don't know how the will handle complexes, whether they are seen as 1 or multiple properties
All units within a complex generally fall under a single ERF...

zolly

Expert Member
So is this with immediate effect or are we waiting for something to be signed. Cause if we have to wait as long as did for the digital migration or for spectrum auction this means squat.

A quick google shows the original document signed in March 2020 (which limited us to 1MW) is still online, so until Mantashe signs the new one, we're still stuck with this.

krycor

Honorary Master

I think you allowed to feedback to municipality(if they allow it and have necessary things in place) for a low revenue value set by it. This is why municipalities eg Cpt require registering with them if you have a grid tie system(besides also wanting to slap on “meterage” fee.

I think the cap on size of system is distinguish between a producer (for others primarily) and a consumer who may have excess capacity.

I still think there is a business to be had here much like solar city but in SA especially if you focus on the larger consumers with roof space.. eg office blocks, estates, apartment blocks etc.

krycor

Honorary Master
All units within a complex generally fall under a single ERF...

Depends on the estate.. some are just closed off community and each house has a different erf.

The place I’m in is like that so while the initial houses looked the same, each home is responsible for their own maintenance, changes etc. they only share the common area, communal assets like borehole and gardening for estate (not home) & security.

Mike Hoxbig

Honorary Master
Depends on the estate.. some are just closed off community and each house has a different erf.

The place I’m in is like that so while the initial houses looked the same, each home is responsible for their own maintenance, changes etc. they only share the common area, communal assets like borehole and gardening for estate (not home) & security.
This probably won't apply to those sorts of complexes...

Peon

Expert Member
Lol,

Karpowerships aren't going to happen, gwede will eventually get fingered as involved, sign off the 100mw or you out in the cold with no maaitjies.

Swa

Honorary Master
Step in the right direction. Though I don't see why private generation should be regulated at all.

WollieVerstege

Step in the right direction. Though I don't see why private generation should be regulated at all.
Probably because it is still grid tied. If you take a 50MW generator off line for maintenance, but now want to draw that power from the grid, it makes sense.
If not grid tied, then I also see no reason for it.

LiberateZANow

Private tax :ROFL::ROFL::ROFL:

LiberateZANow

For breathing oxygen in South Africa :ROFL::ROFL:

Reactions: 3WA

Priapus

Executive Member

The final version of the amendment to Schedule 2 will be published by the Department of Mineral Resources and Energy within the next 60 days or sooner.

HowTo

Expert Member
That is because the ANC lead government has run out of money.
Private sector to fill the gap.
In Finland most towns generate there own Power and Steam. Industries that are run within the town.