Massive rise in Windows 10 users

Hanno Labuschagne

Journalist
Staff member
Super Moderator
Massive rise in Windows 10 users

Following the official end of support for Windows 7 on 14 January 2020, the number of Windows 10 users increased substantially.

According to data from NetMarketShare, 57.08% of all desktop users were using Windows 10 at the end of January 2020 – up from 53.36% in December 2019.

This is the biggest month-on-month increase in Windows 10’s market share over the last year, indicating that many users left it to the last moment to upgrade from their Windows 7 systems.

Spizz

Goat Botherer
Yeah, well, the dirty Microsoft trick of taking away wallpaper and only having a black desktop has forced many to upgrade. I miss that grassy hill :(

Geoff.D

Honorary Master
Yeah, well, the dirty Microsoft trick of taking away wallpaper and only having a black desktop has forced many to upgrade. I miss that grassy hill :(
If you can't still select wallpaper of your choice then you don't know how to configure you laptop. The black screen is a new feature that many prefer that is all.

Spizz

Goat Botherer
If you can't still select wallpaper of your choice then you don't know how to configure you laptop. The black screen is a new feature that many prefer that is all.

Oops, I switched on on the 15th Jan and there was a warning message and the desktop was black. I thought they had taken away the customisation bit as a further nudge to get people to upgrade. Just tried it now and there is sunshine in my life again :whistling:

Swa

Honorary Master
This is not what the stats say so what am I missing? Windows 10 is 49% and Windows 7 32%. So one has to wonder what that other 7% are using. Also Linux is closer to 2%. For some reason Ubuntu is counted separately from the rest of the Linux stats, but even if you look at the breakdown the figure is more than what the article quotes.