Matric upgrade

tea3667

Hi everyone

Does anyone have any experience with adding a subject to their matric certificate after they have completed school? Are there any agencies or academies that you recommend in Cape Town? I've seen places like Elroi academy and Matric College offering upgrade services. What things should I look out for? Ideally, at the end of the process I would like to obtain a new matric certificate consisting of the results on my old one plus my result for the new subject which I want to add.

I matriculated a few years back and now would like to add Life Sciences to my matric certificate in order to meet the prerequisites for a degree programme that I would like to apply for, so any advice will be appreciated.

TIA

Last edited:

Supersoaker

Hi everyone

Does anyone have any experience with adding a subject to their matric certificate after they have completed school? Are there any agencies or academies that you recommend in Cape Town? What things should I look out for? Ideally, at the end of the process I would like to obtain a new matric certificate consisting of the results on my old one plus my result for the new subject which I want to add.

I matriculated a few years back and now would like to add Life Sciences to my matric certificate in order to meet the prerequisites for a degree programme that I would like to apply for, so any advice will be appreciated.

TIA
Department of Education is going to be your best bet. Phone them don't email.

tea3667

How old are you?
There's a few ways you can get exemption age being one of them.

Then you can rewrite subjects as you have mentioned. You can also do what's called a bridging qualification here's an example of a certificate in physical sciences:
https://www.unisa.ac.za/sites/corpo...gher-Certificate-in-Physical-Sciences-(90101)
Thanks for the info, I am 22. I already have a university degree from Stellenbosch in mechanical engineering, but would like to career change to Medicine, for which Biology is a prerequisite.

B-1

Expert Member
Thanks for the info, I am 22. I already have a university degree from Stellenbosch in mechanical engineering, but would like to career change to Medicine, for which Biology is a prerequisite.

Then I suggest you go and talk to the admissions office. Having a degree already and turning 23 in your first year of study should get you exemption and credits in most cases. Medicine is tough to get into though so I recommend you speak to the admissions office and find out exactly what they recommend before you start randomly devoting time to something that may not help in the end.

pinball wizard

Honorary Master
Redo matric. 22 is average age in matric classes in the decolonised world, isn't it? Bonus, if you enrol at a regular school, you will get an automatic pass so you don't even have to try.

netstrider

Expert Member
Thanks for the advice, but I would prefer not to do that. My matric marks are very high as is. Just need to add bio.
Have you considered doing an A-Level or at the very least AS-Level independently? They should accept that in conjunction with your matric & degree.

randomcat

Expert Member
You have a degree in mechanical engineering..... and you want to study medicine? Are you bored with your life?

tea3667

You have a degree in mechanical engineering..... and you want to study medicine? Are you bored with your life?
It's been really tough to find a job or even an internship in the field despite being an 'demanded degree', and many of my engineering friends are facing the same struggle, even though they are very capable engineers. I know a guy with a degree in chemical engineering from a top university, who couldn't find permanent employment 4 years after graduating. I really worry about long term security and prospects. Always had an interest in medicine and healthcare and thought now would be a good time to pursue it whilst I'm unemployed and still young. Spoken to someone who made the same switch and is currently doing his internship years now and I got really inspired and motivated by that conversation.

blah99

Expert Member
It's been really tough to find a job or even an internship in the field despite being an 'demanded degree', and many of my engineering friends are facing the same struggle, even though they are very capable engineers. I know a guy with a degree in chemical engineering from a top university, who couldn't find permanent employment 4 years after graduating. I really worry about long term security and prospects. Always had an interest in medicine and healthcare and thought now would be a good time to pursue it whilst I'm unemployed and still young. Spoken to someone who made the same switch and is currently doing his internship years now and I got really inspired and motivated by that conversation.
Ever considered looking for work abroad?

randomcat

Expert Member
Damn that sucks. I know how you feel, the first job search is hard. I'm still looking for my first dev job. Have you thought about getting honours. You prospects might be better, local and overseas. If you still interested in mechanical, I know a few people who might help you with an internship.

B-1

Expert Member
I'm still looking for my first dev job.

Have you tried doing freelancing for free? I know its not exactly great working for free but gaining experience is what you are after. My start was a 1 month testing gig many years ago which I jumped on just to get my foot in the door and then begged the devs to give me any grunt work they don't feel like doing. I continued like that for over a year when a spot on the dev side opened up and I kind of wormed my way into that and never looked back.

randomcat

Expert Member
Have you tried doing freelancing for free? I know its not exactly great working for free but gaining experience is what you are after. My start was a 1 month testing gig many years ago which I jumped on just to get my foot in the door and then begged the devs to give me any grunt work they don't feel like doing. I continued like that for over a year when a spot on the dev side opened up and I kind of wormed my way into that and never looked back.
I've done a little bit of freelance work but nothing serious. I haven't tried the free angle yet but I'm starting to think it might be required to get something more on my CV.

B-1

Expert Member
I've done a little bit of freelance work but nothing serious. I haven't tried the free angle yet but I'm starting to think it might be required to get something more on my CV.

In my opinion its great experience because you work directly with the clients, often work remotely and have the experience as well. Those are a lot of soft and hard skills you can demonstrate to future employers never mind the life skills you will pick up from people exploiting you for as much as they can.

randomcat

Expert Member
In my opinion its great experience because you work directly with the clients, often work remotely and have the experience as well. Those are a lot of soft and hard skills you can demonstrate to future employers never mind the life skills you will pick up from people exploiting you for as much as they can.
I'm a bit hesitant to start work on my own. I think I might develop some bad habits or take on more than I can handle but I'll shake the tree and see what falls. Thanks for the advice.

B-1

Expert Member
I'm a bit hesitant to start work on my own. I think I might develop some bad habits or take on more than I can handle but I'll shake the tree and see what falls. Thanks for the advice.

Yes don't commit to something you won't be able to complete but there are normally some small additions or fixes you can do and if you are up front about giving it a shot but not guaranteeing you will succeed it shouldn't be an issue.
I guess all I'm saying is if you are not making headway with your current approach try another one and see where it goes it doesn't have to be freelancing.

Gozado

... adding a subject to their matric certificate after they have completed school?
Just in case you haven't already seen this list:

To prepare your studies by yourself (although not get the exam to pass), there's the free Khan Academy: https://www.khanacademy.org/

This article, by Professor Wayne Hugo, who teaches education at the Universtiy of KZN, explains various paths towards get a matric even if you can't go to school. While I realise you, OP, already have a matric, perhaps some of the options, especially in the last third of the article, might be helpful for you, to add just that extra subject you'd like to write at matric level.