Matrix Warehouse - From one store to a massive computer retail chain

RedViking

Nord of the South
Ja, they not as cheap as they used to be.
The personal service is also not like it used to be.
Staff turn over is very high.
Can't get to know anybody there these days.

But I've been buying from Justin Lowe since the early 90's.
My experience is just from the local store which a real let down and online store which clearly can't compete with alternative solutions. I would not want their products though.

cavedog

Honorary Master
Bought a pretty expensive PSU from them. After 2 months the thing went up in smoke and by sheer luck nothing else got burned. Took it back and they did not want to book it in because they say it got hot. After back and forth they booked it in. 1 month later they told me they won't be replacing or repairing it on warranty because it over heated and is due to poor ventilation.

Ready for a fight I went back with with a receipt from the case I bought from them. 1 month later and a lot of calls back and forth they finally decided to replace it but no stock so waited 2 weeks and they got stock and replaced it. Still use the same PSU today and it's been pretty good actually but how they handled the warranty claim was shocking. I don't buy from them anymore.

Wootware and some other shops are pretty decent. Returned a faulty CPU and after they tested asked me if I want a refund or a replacement and because they did not have stock the replacement was an upgraded CPU.

RedViking

Nord of the South
They are way too expensive. Well all the brick and mortar computer shops in SA are actually.
True. I assume they rely on those who are not knowledgeable or know how to use the internet to buy from them. Also those who are in a hurry and don't have the time to wait 3-5 days for an item.

RedViking

Nord of the South
Bought a pretty expensive PSU from them. After 2 months the thing went up in smoke and by sheer luck nothing else got burned. Took it back and they did not want to book it in because they say it got hot. After back and forth they booked it in. 1 month later they told me they won't be replacing or repairing it on warranty because it over heated and is due to poor ventilation.

Ready for a fight I went back with with a receipt from the case I bought from them. 1 month later and a lot of calls back and forth they finally decided to replace it but no stock so waited 2 weeks and they got stock and replaced it. Still use the same PSU today and it's been pretty good actually but how they handled the warranty claim was shocking. I don't buy from them anymore.

Wootware and some other shops are pretty decent. Returned a faulty CPU and after they tested asked me if I want a refund or a replacement and because they did not have stock the replacement was an upgraded CPU.
That used to be my experience with Evetech when they still had great service and aftersales. They replaced or credited 2 or 3 of my GPU's + free shipping and some other items. Now you are just another number and have to really push them... anyways. One day I will buy from Wootware.

To me they feel like the HiFi Corporation of computer gear, yes they sell computer products, but it just feels "cheap" somehow . . . . can't explain it. It's just not a place I'll shop given all the online choices out there....

I still have my PSU that I got from then in 2010 in my main PC, its a Xigmatek Vector S850, still working fine but I have a suspicion its going to kick the bucket soon.

Matrix is good if you need the odd PC part here and there, thermal paste for the el cheap home PC, cheap RAM, ethernet cables.

But I wouldn't buy a GPU or mob from them, its too expensive and they don't have variety.

RedViking

Nord of the South
I still have my PSU that I got from then in 2010 in my main PC, its a Xigmatek Vector S850, still working fine but I have a suspicion its going to kick the bucket soon.

Matrix is good if you need the odd PC part here and there, thermal paste for the el cheap home PC, cheap RAM, ethernet cables.

But I wouldn't buy a GPU or mob from them, its too expensive and they don't have variety.
No variety at all.

That said. My wife's PC was from MAtrix almost a decade ago and is still running.

No variety at all.

That said. My wife's PC was from MAtrix almost a decade ago and is still running.
Not really thanks to Matrix though.
They just sell the components, they don't manufacture them. Thank the manufacturer.

Matrix sucks. Bad service. Clueless staff. Overpriced.
Experience from multiple branches from different cities.

RedViking

Nord of the South
Not really thanks to Matrix though.
They just sell the components, they don't manufacture them. Thank the manufacturer.

Matrix sucks. Bad service. Clueless staff. Overpriced.
Experience from multiple branches from different cities.
Then why they doing so "well" ? Think the companies that use them?

I walk past the local store almost weekly and have never seen a customer inside. Same for Incredible connection. Not sure how they stay open with the high rent etc. Must have deals with local businesses that pays the fees.

Ja, they not as cheap as they used to be.
The personal service is also not like it used to be.
Staff turn over is very high.
Can't get to know anybody there these days.

But I've been buying from Justin Lowe since the early 90's.
Local distributors are also not as cheap as they used to be either. I don’t know in which partnerships Matrix Warehouse is engaging in and whether they have import agreements in place, but physical stores relying solely on local distributors will be expensive. There is no way in changing that unless you are independently engaging with brands and other vendors, but then you also need to provide that support and have alternatives available where the CPA and warranties apply. Too many independent agreements are exclusive which ramps up the prices at other sellers.

Our local distributors have close to all evolved into services companies, providing services. They are selling technologies and solutions, and with that comes at a price.

Only place that had cordless mice below R500 when I needed one urgently recently. Incredible corruption apparently decided that the average price should be closer to R600. Hifi corp had no decent brands in stock.. Makro only had corded, and Dion wired even the sales person couldn't tell me where they keep them...

Local distributors are also not as cheap as they used to be either. I don’t know in which partnerships Matrix Warehouse is engaging in and whether they have import agreements in place, but physical stores relying solely on local distributors will be expensive. There is no way in changing that unless you are independently engaging with brands and other vendors, but then you also need to provide that support and have alternatives available where the CPA and warranties apply. Too many independent agreements are exclusive which ramps up the prices at other sellers.

Our local distributors have close to all evolved into services companies, providing services. They are selling technologies and solutions, and with that comes at a price.
They have no choice though. Mos of the vendors won't sell directly to places like Matrix and thus force Matrix to use what is known as "the channel". It's a complete crock of shite and really only exists to allow everyone to take their cut.

eg2505

Honorary Master
dont know, good and bad experiences, have brought RAM from them, working up till now.
think the future for them might be as a collection point for one of the online shops, like evetech or wootware.