McBride under investigation for assault: report

McBride granted R10 000 bail in daughter's assault case

Pretoria - IPID head Robert McBride, who has been accused of assaulting his daughter, has been granted R10 000 bail in the Pretoria Magistrate's Court on Wednesday afternoon.

He was charged with child abuse and an alternate charge of assault with intent to cause grievous bodily harm.
McBride stood quietly in the dock as the charges were read out. He confirmed that he understood them.

The State did not oppose bail, saying the only condition was that he should not have any contact with witnesses.

The case was postponed to October 2 for further investigation.

IPID said in a statement, after the appearance, that McBride wanted the trial to start as soon as possible "so that he can clear his name".

"As this matter is already in the courts, McBride had been advised not to comment further."

In a statement issued on Saturday, McBride maintained that he was merely admonishing his daughter.

He broke his silence after news broke earlier that he was being investigated for the assault of a minor child.

Speaking "with a heavy heart", he said he decided to issue the statement after his daughter's details were being circulated by people who had failed by other means to get rid of him.

The case was opened by a woman who had asked him unsuccessfully to squash a traffic fine, he claimed.

"I admit that I admonished one of my daughters, whom I love very much," said McBride.

He explained that he had become concerned about his daughter's school marks and "somewhat rebellious" behaviour, and had admonished her, but never assaulted her.

"My daughter was seated directly behind me in the car, it would have been impossible for me to drive and 'assault' and 'throttle' her at the same time," he said.

"I deny that I assaulted her and that she had any injuries when I left her at home. I have already indicated to the police that I will co-operate fully with the investigation."

'Red herring'

He said alleged assault claims were a "red herring".

"I am not at all surprised by the latest allegations against me – I have been accused of treason, conspiracy to murder and plotting an Arab-Spring style revolution, all of which have come to nought. Those making the allegations have now gone silent, after failing to substantiate their allegations."

In an interview with EWN on Monday, McBride’s teenage daughter dismissed reports that the assault claims against her father were part of a smear campaign targeting the IPID head.

"This stems from him hitting me on Sunday, it has nothing to do with his work. I’m not concerned about his reputation or his line of work," the teenager said.

McBride’s daughter gave EWN a detailed account of the incident, saying her father had punched her repeatedly in the face.

News24
http://www.news24.com/SouthAfrica/N...l-in-daughters-assault-case-20170830#cxrecs_s
 
http://ewn.co.za/2017/08/31/mcbride-s-daughter-obtains-protection-order-against-him

On Monday, McBride’s daughter told EWN that the assault was not an isolated incident.

“It happens all the time. From the time I started living with him, almost every night, every second night... whenever he’s got a chance to argue with me or fight with me, he would end up hitting me, and not just like hiding... throwing me against things or banging my head into things or whatever.”


McBride denied he assaulted his daughter on 19 August and says he was merely admonishing her.

The teenager said she didn't want the assault case against her father to be covered up.

“I don’t want it to be swept under the carpet because of who he is or because people are too scared to speak out against him because he’s powerful.”
 
Bomber, murderer child abuser.

Seems like we found a suitable candidate for president.
 
No idea. Answer is yes, then?

Well there's strangulation marks and bruises on the photos and doctors report.
A bit extreme to go to in order to frame him?

He's got a history of being on the wrong side of the law

Balance of probabilities - he did it.
 
McBride wants speedy trial in alleged assault case involving daughter

Pretoria – IPID head Robert McBride asked the Pretoria Magistrate's Court on Monday that the investigation against him relating to the alleged assault of his daughter be finalised with no further postponements.

The State on Monday asked for the second postponement, citing that further investigation was needed.

McBride's attorney Jaco Hamman requested that this postponement should be the last, saying that enough time would have passed for the State to finalise its case when it returns to court on October 24 this year.

In an IPID statement released last month, McBride said that he wanted the trial to start as soon as possible "so that he can clear his name".

Hamman said the case against McBride was opened on August 20 this year, he then first appeared before court on August 30, and again on Monday.

Magistrate Ignatius du Preez said this request was premature and that McBride was welcome to make this request again at his next appearance.

Investigated for assault

McBride has been charged with child abuse and an alternate charge of assault with intent to cause grievous bodily harm.

He was previously released on bail of R10 000 on the condition that he not contact any of the witnesses.

The State did not oppose bail.

The charges related to an alleged incident involving McBride's daughter as they were driving in a car.

McBride said that he had merely admonished his daughter.

He broke his silence after news broke last month saying he was being investigated for the assault of a minor child.

Speaking "with a heavy heart", he said he decided to issue the statement after his daughter's details were being circulated by people who had failed by other means to get rid of him.

'Admonished, but never assaulted' daughter

The case was opened by a woman who had unsuccessfully asked him to squash a traffic fine, he claimed.

"I admit that I admonished one of my daughters, whom I love very much," said McBride.

He explained that he had become concerned about his daughter's school marks and "somewhat rebellious" behaviour, and had admonished her, but never assaulted her.

"My daughter was seated directly behind me in the car, it would have been impossible for me to drive and 'assault' and 'throttle' her at the same time," he said.

"I deny that I assaulted her and that she had any injuries when I left her at home. I have already indicated to the police that I will co-operate fully with the investigation."

McBride claimed the charges are a "red herring".

"I am not at all surprised by the latest allegations against me – I have been accused of treason, conspiracy to murder and plotting an Arab Spring-style revolution, all of which have come to nought. Those making the allegations have now gone silent, after failing to substantiate their allegations."

News24
http://www.news24.com/SouthAfrica/N...eged-assault-case-involving-daughter-20171002
 
McBride briefly back in the dock

Pretoria – IPID head Robert McBride is one step closer to answering a charge of child abuse.

McBride, the former chief of the Ekurhuleni metro police who is accused of assaulting his teenage daughter, made a brief appearance in the Pretoria Magistrate's Court on Tuesday.

The matter was postponed for the disclosure of the docket. McBride on his previous appearances had pushed for a speedy trial, saying he wants to clear his name.

"This matter is postponed for 28 November, not for a trial date but for the disclosure of the docket," Magistrate Ignatius du Preez told McBride as he stood in the dock.

McBride has been charged with child abuse and an alternate charge of assault with intent to cause grievous bodily harm after allegedly assaulting his daughter whilst driving in a car in August this year.

He later said that he had merely admonished his daughter.

McBride broke his silence after it surfaced that he was being investigated for the assault of a minor child.

Speaking "with a heavy heart", he said he decided to issue a statement after his daughter's details were being circulated by people who had failed by other means to get rid of him.

The case was opened by a woman who had unsuccessfully asked him to squash a traffic fine, he claimed.

He explained that he had become concerned about his daughter's school marks and "somewhat rebellious" behaviour, and had admonished her, but never assaulted her.

"I deny that I assaulted her and that she had any injuries when I left her at home. I have already indicated to the police that I will co-operate fully with the investigation,'' he said.

McBride, who is out on bail of R10 000, was a former member of Umkhonto we Sizwe.

In February 2015 News24 reported that he was suspended from his position as head of the police's watchdog-the Independent Police Investigative Directorate by former police minister Nathi Nhleko.

He was accused of allegedly altering a report by IPID on former Hawks boss Anwa Dramat and Hawks Gauteng head Shadrack Sibiya. They were accused of illegally deporting a group of Zimbabweans wanted for murder.

This was overturned by the Constitutional Court in 2016.

News24
http://www.news24.com/SouthAfrica/News/mcbride-briefly-back-in-the-dock-20171024
 
Top
Sign up to the MyBroadband newsletter
X