Medical help when living alone

CathJ

Expert Member
Joined
Nov 2, 2005
Messages
3,878
Reaction score
10
Location
Cape Town
So over the weekend I was pretty ill, almost passed out at home, but luckily I managed to phone my mom and she came over and got me to hospital. But it got me thinking, since I live alone and don't have any close friends:

If I had a medical emergency, and managed to call an ambulance but couldn't get downstairs to let them in, how would they get in past the security gate and front door? If I see having a heart attack or something, fine, break it down, but what if I passed out due to dehydration or had a broken leg and couldn't get downstairs?

Or what if it's not bad enough for an ambulance, but you shouldn't drive? Like lat year my blood pressure shot up high enough to be worried, but an ambulance seemed overkill...

I've ended up in hospital twice this year alone (suppressed immune system due to rheumatoid arthritis) so it's something I'm likely to have to deal with at some point :-(
 
So over the weekend I was pretty ill, almost passed out at home, but luckily I managed to phone my mom and she came over and got me to hospital. But it got me thinking, since I live alone and don't have any close friends:

If I had a medical emergency, and managed to call an ambulance but couldn't get downstairs to let them in, how would they get in past the security gate and front door? If I see having a heart attack or something, fine, break it down, but what if I passed out due to dehydration or had a broken leg and couldn't get downstairs?

I've ended up in hospital twice this year alone (suppressed immune system due to rheumatoid arthritis) so it's something I'm likely to have to deal with at some point :-(
Be friendly with your neighbors at least. You will have to initiate and make an effort and build up trust, but you are the one in need so...
 
Be friendly with your neighbors at least. You will have to initiate and make an effort and build up trust, but you are the one in need so...

True. I'm just used to being very independent and hate asking for help. I guess I have to get over that... At the very least, leaving keys with a neighbour is a good idea.
 
It sucks but you die and cats eat out your eyes.


The best thing is to make sure you have people who you are in contact with regularly and have keys for your house.
Also - have a panic button with your alarm and give security access to your house with a key box.
 
Depending on your area, you can get a medical monitoring and response service that will work off a wearable panic button with a base station that you can communicate with over speakerphone if there’s an emergency.

You can also link a wearable monitor that will go off if it detects a fall or inactivity. The base station can be setup so that if you don’t press a button on the base station by a set time every morning they will call and investigate.

There are a number of companies offering this service around the country and it ranges from around R300-R700pm depending on options.
 
Thanks, great help with the cat suggestions :p

I guess I'll have to look at medical monitoring. It feels like overkill, but this is clearly my life now... And then I assume they'll keep keys or use a key box, so that solves that.
 
Thanks, great help with the cat suggestions :p

I guess I'll have to look at medical monitoring. It feels like overkill, but this is clearly my life now... And then I assume they'll keep keys or use a key box, so that solves that.
Yes, they can optionally install a key box on a pin code as there is no guarantee that first responders will be carrying your keys around.
 
Top
Sign up to the MyBroadband newsletter
X