Microsoft Office 2013 introduced with new Office 365 subscriptions

Bryn

Doubleplusgood
The subscription option for home users could be a very smart move if it's priced well.

alloytoo

Honorary Master
Open office is a far better bet for the home user.

MSoffice jumped the shark with '07 and '10 is likewise bloody unusable.

Bryn

Doubleplusgood
Open office is a far better bet for the home user.

MSoffice jumped the shark with '07 and '10 is likewise bloody unusable.

Many people need Outlook, Powerpoint and Publisher. I used to use Libreoffice and I had no issues with it, but I must admit that I like being back on Office 2010.

ebendl

Expert Member

Ockie

Resident Lead Bender
LibreOffice works fine for the little things I need it for. Apparently the big problem many companies have with LibreOffice and Open Office is that it does not support macros. Not sure what that is. :)

I am still curious to see what Google have in store for QuickOffice.

alloytoo

Honorary Master
Many people need Outlook, Powerpoint and Publisher. I used to use Libreoffice and I had no issues with it, but I must admit that I like being back on Office 2010.

Nobody "needs" Outlook, there are perfectly acceptable alternatives (that don't crash)

alloytoo

Honorary Master
And yet I use it every day and think it is way better organised than Office was.

Sadly I too have to use it. In almost every instance any given function requires more mouse clicks than 2003. Furthermore the print preview is an absolute abortion and macros have been degraded.

Have you read the MS Development blogs (not really technical) - it explains why MS designed office 2007 the way it did. http://blogs.msdn.com/b/jensenh/archive/tags/why+the+new+ui_3f00_/default.aspx

They did it to differentiate from open office and the like, not from any real desire to improve productivity.

Executive Member
Nobody "needs" Outlook, there are perfectly acceptable alternatives (that don't crash)

Not if you want to easily integrate with exchange and it's 'features' (voting buttons, calendar integration)

ebendl

Expert Member

Remember, a lot of companies use Exchange. I don't know of great alternatives when you have to use Exchange other than Outlook. Thunderbird can do it, but it requires an Exchange gateway to be installed on your local machine - http://guzaho.wordpress.com/2011/10/12/thunderbird-as-client-for-microsoft-exchange-2010-server/

Exchange is actually pretty great for a company - allows some things which I have not yet seen in other alternatives (Google comes close, though). Some of the technology is also used by other push services - i.e., Gmail support push mail to other platforms (other than Android) through MS Active Sync, which is the basis of Exchange.

I am lucky enough to work at a company where we run on Google Apps for email, so use Gmail in the browser. However, if the new Office has good built in support for GMail, I might consider it!

ebendl

Expert Member
Sadly I too have to use it. In almost every instance any given function requires more mouse clicks than 2003. Furthermore the print preview is an absolute abortion and macros have been degraded.

They did it to differentiate from open office and the like, not from any real desire to improve productivity.

What, really? I must not have read the blog clearly the two times I read through it. </sarcasm>

Seriously, do you like having 20 toolbars floating across your screen as with Office 2003? And every new feature opening the preview pane on the side? And do you know you can set up your most used features in the small little toolbar at the top?

How have macros been degraded?

Speedster

Honorary Master

I've been searching for one for months and yet to find one that actually works and has all the functions I need (most fail the html signature test). If gmail allowed for decent font sizes then that would be just perfect.

Sneeky

Honorary Master
I use Open Office and Zimbra desktop mail at home and it does the basics well enough for me.

Tornalca

Hmmm, installed it. Pretty buggy. Each program or window I click shows the "Not responding" in the title bar and it looks like an uglier version of Office 2010.