Microsoft posts record results

Jamie McKane

MyBroadband Journalist
Super Moderator
Microsoft posts record results

Microsoft has released its earnings report for Q4 2019, which showed a record fiscal year for the company.

Revenue for the fourth quarter of Microsoft's 2019 financial year - which ended on June 30 2019 - stood at $33.7 billion - up 12% year-on-year.

Moosedrool

Expert Member
Maybe it's about time to either drop your prices or at least supply a product worth those prices.

gfmalan

Expert Member
Maybe it's about time to either drop your prices or at least supply a product worth those prices.
Maybe I’m bias, but I think most of there products are priced well.

It is becoming more and more difficult to find alternative product range to replace MS out of your life.

I’m trying the last 3 years, I don’t like Google because your data is theirs, but finding ways to run your business and life is or not possible or more expensive. All the free or sub R100 pm options (per user) doesn’t integrate well.

And don’t get me started on Exchange, that is the only solution for communications.

The reason that server related pricing is so high, they try to force you to the cloud and for the SAAS model.

We end up closing our hosted Exchange offering, because they forced us to do so...

Last edited:

Moosedrool

Expert Member
Which of their hundreds of products specifically do you refer to?
Windows server licensing costs. (Per core based licensing approach cause they can't keep up with the technology and started losing out.)
365 business premium costs. (In larger corporations it's nearly on par with hosting exchange mail and purchasing volume licences for office every 4 years)
Windows 10 professional costs. (Great markup just to add something to a AD domain. Let's not talk about your updates breaking ever so often.)
TSS CAL costs. (Check it out)
SQL costs. (check this out as well)

Then comes the support regarding licensing. It's part of a company agreement with Microsoft after hours of useless meetings because no one in the licensing department can give you an answer on the costs involved using 3rd party virtualisation technology. VMware VHorizon and Microsoft still sitting with whether you should be paying remote cals or not is the main disaster.

ToxicBunny

Honorary Master
Server Licensing costs I'm not totally aware of anymore...
365 Costs though, ends up being cheaper as you no longer have to maintain the infrastructure to host Exchange, granted this only really makes a difference in a large organisation.
SQL is po3s expensive yes, but no more expensive than all the other new flavour of the day "database" techs... Couchbase/Redis/Kafka are all eyewateringly expensive as well.

BUT even with that, I appreciate the reponse :) I was honestly expecting the standard MS hate towards its retail consumer facing products.