Migrating your smartbroadband wireless to a higher package

ronnie_94

Has anyone been able to migrate their lets say for instance your day 100gb day 100gb night package to the 200gb day 200gb night package?

I was told by them I can when I first got the package but now being forced to do a new contract just to pay for both contracts.

"D"

Expert Member
That's an upgrade, straight-up. (Not a migration.)
now being forced to do a new contract just to pay for both contracts.
Don't do it, Ronnie - life is too short to accept that at face value. . .

ronnie_94

That's an upgrade, straight-up. (Not a migration.)
Don't do it, Ronnie - life is too short to accept that at face value. . .
I managed to come right to migrate to the higher package without taking a new contract, store was giving us a dificult time but live chat was saying it is definately possible to get the higher package.

Jake45

Expert Member
I managed to come right to migrate to the higher package without taking a new contract, store was giving us a dificult time but live chat was saying it is definately possible to get the higher package.
How much are you paying for the 220GB monthly contract? R999pm?

If you switch to prepaid 220GB will cost you R1059 per month but you can get an extra R1059 per month worth of free airtime on a Telkom More plan which might be something to consider. You would probably need to transfer the airtime between two SIMs to get the benefit though. On prepaid you can also change packages if you don't require the full 220GB every month or have sufficient accumulated rollover bandwidth.

Attachments

elriconess

If you switch to prepaid 220GB will cost you R1059 per month but you can get an extra R1059 per month worth of free airtime on a Telkom More plan which might be something to consider. You would probably need to transfer the airtime between two SIMs to get the benefit though. On prepaid you can also change packages if you don't require the full 220GB every month or have sufficient accumulated rollover bandwidth.
Last time I checked you can't buy this bundles on the Telkom More Tarriff. More info here: https://mybroadband.co.za/forum/threads/smartbroadband-prepaid-price-plan-cheap-data.900812/

Jake45

Expert Member
Last time I checked you can't buy this bundles on the Telkom More Tarriff.
You can load some or all of the airtime onto a Telkom More SIM and then transfer it to a different SIM card on a Smart Broadband plan if necessary. There is a limit of R100 transfer per day but you could organise things so that you get a reasonable amount of free airtime throughout the month to use for calls. I do this myself when I need to make long cell calls.

There are probably other methods that you could also use to reduce your prepaid costs further such as loyalty programs like FNB eBucks, PnP Smart Shopper, Clicks, Dischem Cards etc.

Last edited:

nicroets

You can load some or all of the airtime onto a Telkom More SIM and then transfer it to a different SIM card on a Smart Broadband plan if necessary. There is a limit of R100 transfer per day but you could organise things so that you get a reasonable amount of free airtime throughout the month to use for calls. I do this myself when I need to make long cell calls.

There are probably other methods that you could also use to reduce your prepaid costs further such as loyalty programs like FNB eBucks, PnP Smart Shopper, Clicks, Dischem Cards etc.
I've also been doing it for many years. It's a big schlep.

The real disadvantage of a contract is that you either
1. Run out of data at the end of the month because your contract is too small or
2. Your contract is to big and you forfeit unused data or
3. You carefully manage your usage by scheduling large downloads at the end of the month or use the WiFi at the coffee shop when your own data is running low.

With prepaid, you just reload as needed.

ronnie_94

Yeah its the 999pm one.

Jake45

Expert Member
I would personally try to avoid having a contract with Telkom as their service is always bad and it's really difficult to get issues resolved!

I am currently using Afrihost/MTN Fixed LTE bundles which might also be worth looking at. I get much better speeds on MTN than I do on Telkom and the bundle that I am using is slightly cheaper than on Telkom. The 200+200GB bundle is R949 on MTN FLTE but you need a suitable router - Huawei B525, B612, B618 or ZTE MF286 etc.

Last edited: