Mike's (non-Sunsynk) System

Mike Hoxbig

Honorary Master
So I didn't really want to start a new thread, but figured this would be helpful for those who don't really want to go the Powerforum/Sunsynk route.

Got my system through Solar Advice. Consists of:
Deye 8kW inverter
2 x Dyness 4.8kWh LiFePo4 batteries
14 x 455W JA Panels

The plan is to run the house off my system, minus the geysers and oven (will have these added to essential once I add more batteries and panels).

Total cost was R178k including installation. I went with Solar Advice because after our renovations I didn't have enough upfront cash to pay for the full system, which was the original plan. So I put down a deposit of R80k and financed the remainder over 5 years at about R2k a month.

Some pics:

20220214_154050.jpg

Following on from @Snyper564's thread, I decided to install all 14 panels facing north. I have another north facing roof, as well as an east/west one if I get desperate enough for space.

20220214_162845.jpg
The install itself was professionally done. If you're going to use them, I can recommend using their installer. The AC still needs to be connected and there's still a little clean-up to do which they're going to finish up tomorrow.

20220214_162919.jpg

Apologies for the mess in this pic, it's leftover construction kark from the renovations that I need to get rid of. But as part of the renovation, I had them create an adjoining storage room inside the garage. Partly for storing small things and tools, but mainly to make space for expanding my system.

Although the AC still needs to be connected tomorrow and I haven't had a chance to play around with it much yet, I'm very impressed with the inverter. Right now it's only charging the batteries.

You'll see from the pics below that the interface is very similar to the Sunsynk, and supports pretty much everything that Sunsynk does. That's because hardware-wise Sunsynk is basically a rebranded Deye and they're identical, and software-wise they're pretty close too.

20220214_163116.jpg

20220214_163414.jpg

20220214_163241.jpg

20220214_163312.jpg

Still need to do a lot of the config once they're done tomorrow so don't mind the settings.

That's pretty much it. Any questions feel free to post them and I'll try and help...

Last edited:

Snyper564

Honorary Master
So I didn't really want to start a new thread, but figured this would be helpful for those who don't really want to go the Powerforum/Sunsynk route.

Got my system through Solar Advice. Consists of:
Deye 8kW inverter
2 x Dyness 4.8kWh LiFePo4 batteries
14 x 455W JA Panels

The plan is to run the house off my system, minus the geysers and oven (will have these added to essential once I add more batteries and panels).

Total cost was R178k including installation. I went with Solar Advice because after our renovations I didn't have enough upfront cash to pay for the full system, which was the original plan. So I put down a deposit of R80k and financed the remainder over 5 years at about R2k a month.

Some pics:

View attachment 1244168

Following on from @Snyper564's thread, I decided to install all 14 panels facing north. I have another north facing roof, as well as an east/west one if I get desperate enough for space.

View attachment 1244172
The install itself was professionally done. If you're going to use them, I can recommend using their installer. The AC still needs to be connected and there's still a little clean-up to do which they're going to finish up tomorrow.

View attachment 1244176

Apologies for the mess in this pic, it's leftover construction kark from the renovations that I need to get rid of. But as part of the renovation, I had them create an adjoining storage room inside the garage. Partly for storing small things and tools, but mainly to make space for expanding of my system.

Although the AC still needs to be connected tomorrow and I haven't had a chance to play around with it much yet, I'm very impressed with the inverter. Right now it's only charging the batteries.

You'll see from the pics below that the interface is very similar to the Sunsynk, and supports pretty much everything that Sunsynk does. That's because hardware-wise Sunsynk is basically a rebranded Deye and they're identical, and software-wise they're pretty close too.

View attachment 1244186

View attachment 1244188

View attachment 1244190

View attachment 1244192

Still need to do a lot of the config once they're done tomorrow so don't mind the settings.

That's pretty much it. Any questions feel free to post them and I'll try and help...
Congrats and welcome officially!

The Door

Honorary Master
Deye is pretty much Sunsynk without the new firmware AFAIK.
That 8 hits the sweet spot for an average household IMO.
How noisy are those fans? I decided to go with the 5 because of IP65 rating as I'm near the beach... and the lack of big fans...

Mike Hoxbig

Honorary Master
How noisy are those fans? I decided to go with the 5 because of IP65 rating as I'm near the beach... and the lack of big fans...
It's been off most of the time, but that's because it's not under any load yet.

It did come on when I was going through the settings and it honestly wasn't too bad. Sounds like a PC fan. Might be a minor annoyance if you have it near your lounge, but if it's out of sight then you won't even notice it...

Mzezman

Expert Member
Congrats Mr Hoxbig.... very impressive. If the CT coil is installed properly then you don't need to put the geysers on the Essential side, you can configure the Inverter to power I
Geyser with excess PV (when batteries are full, load is managed and you're producing more PV than required)

Mike Hoxbig

Honorary Master
Congrats Mr Hoxbig.... very impressive. If the CT coil is installed properly then you don't need to put the geysers on the Essential side, you can configure the Inverter to power I
Geyser with excess PV (when batteries are full, load is managed and you're producing more PV than required)
Thanks for the great tip. Will definitely ask them tomorrow while I have them around.

Although if I plan to install a few aircons, wouldn't the excess PV be better suited to running those? I'm happy to pay a few bucks to Eskom to run the geyser since we don't really need it during load shedding...

Gnome

Executive Member
What is the advantage/disadvantages of going Deye over Sunsynk?

Hd7

Nice looking install, how has their work been? I contemplated using them as well, website is super professional

Mike Hoxbig

Honorary Master
What is the advantage/disadvantages of going Deye over Sunsynk?
None either way, you can't go wrong with either.

In terms of hardware they're exactly the same. Sunsynk does have a newer firmware, but I imagine Deye is not far behind. If you have a look at the pics, the UI is also very similar.

Basically whatever fancy stuff the one can do, the other should be able to as well. I went with Deye purely because that's the one Solar Advice stocks.
Nice looking install, how has their work been? I contemplated using them as well, website is super professional
I really can't complain hey. The guys they sent out are very knowledgeable. Over the 3 days so far, they sent out two different sets of in-house installers due to the demand for solar installations. But they all know each other well and were able to pick up where the other left off.

It is taking a bit longer than I thought, but that's mainly due to the thunderstorm we got on Thursday afternoon. In any event I prefer that they do it properly rather than rush it...

Mzezman

Expert Member
Thanks for the great tip. Will definitely ask them tomorrow while I have them around.

Although if I plan to install a few aircons, wouldn't the excess PV be better suited to running those? I'm happy to pay a few bucks to Eskom to run the geyser since we don't really need it during load shedding...
Most definitely - what you could do then is install CBI astutes for the geyser(s) then have both aircons and geysers between the grid and inverter. Then when you have excess PV you can run your aircons and decide to turn on geysers or not on a schedule. As an example with 3 of my aircons on i use about 2.5kw so with your PV array you'd have 4kw idle on a perfect summer day which you could use to heat the geyser (waste not, want not)

I have 1 of those Dyness 4.8s, interested to hear your experience of them running in parallel - the plan is to add 1 more end of this month

Mike Hoxbig

Honorary Master
Congrats on the system again.

The title of the thread is a bit kak though, like saying Tim's non-Subaru BRZ thread when he buys a Toyota 86.
Thanks. Yeah I had some difficulty coming up with an appropriate title.

There's plenty of advice on the forum re going with Sunsynk, Hubble etc. via Powerforum. The intention is not to discourage folks from going that route, but rather to provide some assistance based on my experience for those who might be interested in financing their system.

I really wasn't going to start this thread, but it's always sad to hear people say that they want a solar system but don't have the cash. There's always another option, just doing my part for the cause... :D

Snyper564

Honorary Master

There's plenty of advice on the forum re going with Sunsynk, Hubble etc. via Powerforum. The intention is not to discourage folks from going that route, but rather to provide some assistance based on my experience for those who might be interested in financing their system.

I really wasn't going to start this thread, but it's always sad to hear people say that they want a solar system but don't have the cash. There's always another option, just doing my part for the cause... :D
Yeah the more info out there the better to help people make up their mind, everyones situation is different and the more out there the more chance you have of finding something that works for you.

RonSwanson

Honorary Master

And a noble cause it is. Encouraging people to consider alternative energy is always a good thing. May you convert all of those heathens! (but please leave some for me, and @Snyper564, @maxxis, @AchmatK, @semaphore, and many others that I cannot remember off the top of my head).

Mike Hoxbig

Honorary Master
I'm most impressed with your solar panels being able to generate 2kw at 10pm!

It's the latest with built in lithium mini batteries which then charge the main batteries :ROFL: but seriously the settings are still defaulted and haven't been changed yet until they hook up the AC...

Mike Hoxbig

Honorary Master
So the DB box is more than 20m from the CT coil. He said we could have done it were this not the case... :(