mikrotik equipment not working

murray654

I am ready to throw these routerboards in the bin, they drive me nuts.

I have 1 RB750 connecting via ethernet to a RB411u - but they dont seem to connect, sometimes the ethernet status says link ok, and I get "offering lease xx.xx.xx.xx for yy:yy:yy:yy:yy:yy without success" repeatedly in the log (rb750 is the dhcp server, rb411 is the client).
sometimes link is not ok. NO data goes through, cant see each other (ip neighbours)

With a laptop I can connect to both of them on the ethernet port in question.

Why cant they see each other?

I have tried to change speed and disable/enable duplex but nothing seems to work.

What else to check?

durbandave

I am ready to throw these routerboards in the bin, they drive me nuts.

I have 1 RB750 connecting via ethernet to a RB411u - but they dont seem to connect, sometimes the ethernet status says link ok, and I get "offering lease xx.xx.xx.xx for yy:yy:yy:yy:yy:yy without success" repeatedly in the log (rb750 is the dhcp server, rb411 is the client).
sometimes link is not ok. NO data goes through, cant see each other (ip neighbours)

With a laptop I can connect to both of them on the ethernet port in question.

Why cant they see each other?

I have tried to change speed and disable/enable duplex but nothing seems to work.

What else to check?
How have you configured the ethernet port on the 411 client side? Have you set it up as a DCHP client? How is the routing happening from one device to another. The reason they cant see each other is I suspect cause there is no route, due to the lack of valid IP address on the 411. What I would do is set static /30 ranges on each of the " connected" ethernets. Then on the 411 you put the 750's IP as the default route on the 411. You may need to check the NATs on the 711 to pass the traffic on from the 411.

Last edited:

Peon

Expert Member
How have you configured the ethernet port on the 411 client side? Have you set it up as a DCHP client? How is the routing happening from one device to another. The reason they cant see each other is I suspect cause there is no route, due to the lack of valid IP address on the 411. What I would do is set static /30 ranges on each of the " connected" ethernets. Then on the 411 you put the 750's IP as the default route on the 411. You may need to check the NATs on the 711 to pass the traffic on from the 411.

What he said is correct. Clear everything that is listed under firewall rules on both RB's and give both ether1's IPs.

So ether1 on RB750: 192.168.0.1/30
So ether1 on RB411u: 192.168.0.2/30

murray654

Found cable damage (sun ate the cable) and water in the sleeve.

Replaced the cable.